Lamp post photocell hook up

Users who are viewing this thread

mr fix it

Reaction score
Hi: Question, I am hooking up a new outside lamp post with photocell dusk to dawn. I will not be hooking it up to electric supply till sometime next spring. Just putting everything together now. I am using conductivity meter to check wiring, everything seems to check out ok except I can not get a conductivity reading acrossed the photocell. I have reading going into cell black wire to black wire but no reading coming out the red wire to light
I tried covering the cell with black tape and also after dark. Is it possible that conductivity can't be read acrossed a photocell??? Or does the photocell have to be exposed to the light for a day ??? I just took it out of the box. Thanks for any help.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Photocells and the like are "electronic circuits" which need to be powered to function.

And if there are any "diodes" (electronic component) in these electronic circuits, these would need a certain "voltage" (7/10 volt) and a certain "polarity" of voltage to get a reading on a testing device. Some testing devices do not provide this high of a voltage through the test wires.

In English: Just follow directions, hook it up, and see if it works!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The PV power from a 3 wire photo cell opens the circuit.

When you first install and power up a 3 wire photo cell, the light will be on for about 20/30 seconds.

It seems like you should have continuity between black and red (of the PC) right out of the box

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks