(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Lamp post photocell hook up

Default Lamp post photocell hook up

Hi: Question, I am hooking up a new outside lamp post with photocell dusk to dawn. I will not be hooking it up to electric supply till sometime next spring. Just putting everything together now. I am using conductivity meter to check wiring, everything seems to check out ok except I can not get a conductivity reading acrossed the photocell. I have reading going into cell black wire to black wire but no reading coming out the red wire to light
    I tried covering the cell with black tape and also after dark. Is it possible that conductivity can't be read acrossed a photocell??? Or does the photocell have to be exposed to the light for a day ??? I just took it out of the box. Thanks for any help.

Photocells and the like are "electronic circuits" which need to be powered to function.

And if there are any "diodes" (electronic component) in these electronic circuits, these would need a certain "voltage" (7/10 volt) and a certain "polarity" of voltage to get a reading on a testing device. Some testing devices do not provide this high of a voltage through the test wires.

In English: Just follow directions, hook it up, and see if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by mr fix it View Post
    I can not get a conductivity reading acrossed the photocell.
    A CdS photocell in bright light should read low (~10k?) resistance.

Thanks Billy Bob. That thought did enter my mind. Looks like I will need to power it up to see if it works. many thanks again for the help.

Thanks guy, everyone has been a big help. Nice to have the experts to take your problems too.

The PV power from a 3 wire photo cell opens the circuit.

When you first install and power up a 3 wire photo cell, the light will be on for about 20/30 seconds.

It seems like you should have continuity between black and red (of the PC) right out of the box
    Last edited by 220/221; 11-17-2009 at 04:20 PM.