Help Please, Thermal Expansion Control Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

rhumbaclave

Reaction score
Hi,

I love this forum and it has helped a lot. We have purchased a new house and I have had some problems with the hot water heater. It is a 2002 State Select Power vent. It was a REO and was winterized when we bought it so when we first fired it up the T&P was leaking. I replaced it and all was well...so I thought. Friday the Thermal Expansion Control Valve was not just dripping put trickling steadily, I replaced it but it has not stopped the problem. It is leaking quite a bit.

Is this a pressure problem or is it because the hot water heater is set to high? Do we need an expansion tank?

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

rhumbaclave

Reaction score
Thanks John. I just realized I messed up my definitions. It was my T&P leaking not a PRV, I do not have a PRV. Sorry.

Reaction score
Thanks John. I just realized I messed up my definitions. It was my T&P leaking not a PRV, I do not have a PRV. Sorry.

Just to further muddy the waters: PRV for plumbing is not the same as PRV for industry/process engineering. PRV typically referrs to a pressure relief valve, but for home plumbing it refers to a pressure regulating valve. The T&P is both a thermal and pressure relief valve.

There is probably nothing wrong with the PRV. This is a thermal expansion problem and will require a small thermal expansion tank. Otherwise, the T&P will relieve everytime the system pressure hits 150. You can put a $10 test gauge on a hose bib or other tap to confirm the cycle.