Replacing old tub

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRock

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the site, seems like a good place to get some help. Homeowner/DIY'er.

My son just bought his first house, a 30-some year old duplex. He was able to take possession a couple of weeks before he had to move out of his old place, so we decided it would give us a great opportunity to fix some things. Like the bathroom.

The old tile was put up over plain drywall, so he of course has an assortment of problems. We tore all that down, and decided to replace the tired old tub while we had it open. Good thing, it was rusting through around the overflow and the subfloor underneath was rotted through. So we've fixed the floor and have the space prepped for the new tub. Moved it into place and now we have a problem.

The previous drain assembly was brass, and actually screws into an ABS P-trap. We've been able to leave the junction piece in place and use the tub shoe and overflow tube from the kit we bought. However, the old tub's drain was exactly on center - 15" from the wall and that's where the ABS rough in was placed. Our new tub's well is slightly offset toward the wall, the center is about 14" from the wall. So the tub show and overflow drain aren't aligning to the piece we've left from the previous drain assembly. I'm considering putting in spacers to move the tub an inch away from the wall, should fix this. Love to hear other suggestions.

Bigger problem: the existing drain sits too high for our new tub. If I fit all the drain pieces together, the tub shoe sits a little over an inch above the subfloor where it would meet the bottom of the tub. The tub if set level expects the drain to be less than half an inch above the subfloor. So we're draining uphill. And connecting so crooked that I'm fairly sure we won't seal.

The entire ABS portion is under the subfloor, under the front wall. There are air return ducts below that, so no chance of any access from below. Do I have any option here other than raise the entire tub? Anyone ever encounter this? Appreciate any help. Gotta get my son and his family a bathroom by next weekend.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

WE encounter it almost EVERY TIME we replace a tub. If the old drain is in the same spot as the new one we rejoice in our good luck. There are several possibilities, but what you have now determines the best solution. We need a picture to even have a chance to help you, but the first part of ANY solution is to remove the old drain. The way it stands now it is NOT going to work and raising the tub and/or furring out the walls, is a hack job and will ALWAYS look like a hack job.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Plumbing heights

If you have everything opened up you should be able to hook up the new tub all right.

If you went shopping to a box store you may have missed out on some of the speciality fittings that are available at a good plumbing wholesaler.

Bring your mock up in to your local plumbing wholesaler first thing in the morning 6:00 7:00 AM and you will be sure to find a plumber or two picking up fittings. Ask them and the counter staff for advice.

It should be an easy fix but if not track down a plumber with some time under his belt and get him to fix it up.

Good Luck.

tub-that-is-very-old.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRock

Reaction score
Have a couple pictures of the project:

You can see the abs under the front wall. The brass piece screws into a threaded 1 1/2" piece. Those are the cold air return ducts underneath, hard to get to from below if I could at all.

2nd pick shows the elevation. The tub shoe sits above the subfloor, flange is about 1 1/4" above the subfloor. The tub drain is 1/2" high. Having trouble finding one that sits higher.

What if I found a raised outlet tub? These seem to let out at about 3". Surely I could find an extender to bring the drain up a bit.

tub1.jpg

Attachments

• tub3.jpg
    tub3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,122

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
This is not a DIY project, and it is not even an installation that a good number of plumbers could do easily.

Find yourself an experienced plumber who will set the tub properly the first time! Otherwise you risk having a small undetectable leak from the drainage piping which will rot away the framing over the years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks