(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pressure regulator only lasts a year or so

Default Pressure regulator only lasts a year or so

I have had to install a repair kit every year or so (sometimes less) as the pressure (about 40psi) starts to creep up slowly until reaching street pressure (95psi or so). When I disassemble the regulator there is plenty of corrosion on the diaphragm spring etc. and quite a bit of calcium build up. The seat gasket has a typical ring mark where it hits the seat (seat feels smooth), some slight calcium build up on it (gasket) as well. My question is, how long should a typical rebuilt regulator last before having to rebuild? I am thinking I having to replace the kit way too often. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Guy

Default Prv

I DO NOT rebuild pressure regulators, usually for that very reason. It is cheaper for me to replace them with a good unit that will not fail in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I DO NOT rebuild pressure regulators, usually for that very reason. It is cheaper for me to replace them with a good unit that will not fail in a year.
    Thanks for the rapid response. This model is a Wilkins 600, I have replaced completely one time in the past, lasted about 2 to 3 years before failure. Is there a better model that you would recommend?
    Thanks
    Guy

I replaced my faulty regulator with a Watts 25AUB-Z3 3/4" haven't had a problem with it.

(2x4 brace was burnt previously, not by me)
    Last edited by dlarrivee; 11-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.