Moen cartridge was stuck, replacement leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

TimboFish

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a Moen Posi-temp tub/shower that is about 30 years old. Recently, the handle snapped off. After disassembling everything, I found that the brass stem had broken off the cartridge flush with the plastic body. I purchased a replacement cartridge (#1222). When I tried to use the plastic removal tool included with the replacement it just broke off the plastic tabs on the cartridge, after much difficulty, I was able to remove the old cartridge in little pieces by drilling it out, as the plastic was very brittle. I've got the new cartridge in place, and the water in the house back on with no leaks. But as soon as I try turning the stem on the new cartridge, I get a stream of water shooting from a spot where the cartridge meets the valve housing. I'm sure the cartridge is pushed in all the way, since I can insert the retaining clip.

I think I may have scored the valve housing a little in the process of removing the old cartridge. :eek: Can anyone offer any advice for this? Am I out of luck and in need of replacing the whole valve now?

Thanks in advance!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Moen also makes a brass cartridge. Before replacing the valve body try one of these as the O ring that seals the stem is in a slightly different position. It's worth a try.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Moen does NOT make a brass "Positemp" cartridge, and drilling the old cartridge out was not the best idea you have ever had. If your diagnosis is correct, then replacing the valve is your only option. Hind sight is 20/20 and paying a plumber to remove the old one may now look like it would have been a bargain.

cootxs

Reaction score
Moen Cartridge Replacement

I had exactly the same problem. The stem broke and I called a plumber from craigslist (supposedly registered). The guy used a huge drill to drill the cartridge and even borrowed my small drills to finally yank the old cartridge out. In the process, i did notice that he notched a couple of places inside the valve. Are small notches inside the valve enough to cause a leak from the top of the faucet? In closed position of the faucet, I do not see any leak coming from the front of the cartridge. However, if I close the top of the shower pipe with a plug, I do not see the water leak from the front of the cartridge.

Does this mean that the valve needs to be replaced?
What is a good estimate to replace a valve replaced?

I paid $100 to this stupid plumber who messed up the whole thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks