Delta 1300 Series- Cold Water Leak Behind Shower Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

ivan1261

Reaction score
I have a question on troubleshooting a leak in a remodel installation. Remodeled second floor bathroom- new toilet/tub/tile walls/tub/shower door and new Delta Monitor 1300 series w/ diverter- all installed by remodeling contractor

Three months after installation, I noticed the downstairs bathroom (condo, wet "column" build- downstairs bath under toilet/tub traps) ceiling "soft"- obvious water leakage. I opened up the ceiling and noticed a leak behind the wall coming down when the shower was in use- no matter if shower occupied or just water running - the water appears to be cold water only and is a pretty considerable leak- appears to be too much for leakage through wall. Leak takes about 45 sec-1 minute to develop.

No water leak when shower is off; does not "appear" to leak if tub only used- hard to tell, water is leaking down cold water copper (1/2 type L annealed) riser as well as inside wall.
I have retaped as well as pipe doped shower arm- no effect
Reviewed schematics for Delta 1300 series faucet- can there be a defect that would cause the cold water only leak during shower operation?

Have not taped a tarp to the wall to prevent water splash, but the size of the leak and the fact it happens occupied/unoccupied seems to rule out leak through new tile installation- any suggestions and guidance before I stick it to the remodeler and start ripping out walls?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
stick it to him anyway

the 1300 valve is a pretty good one for the money

its not their best but seems to work pretty well...

if you can cut an access panel behind that faucet in a closet

or drywall in a hallway, you are probably going to find the pipe going

up to the shower head has not been soldered too good at the brass connection to the faucet..... thats a good guess anyway...

take the face plate off the faucet and look inside through the hole

if it is large enough.... if it is not , you can expand that hole in the tile

out to about 1/2 inch under the size of the face plate and possibly check it

out through there... and your contractor might be able to re-solder that

fitting through the front (if he knows what he is doing)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

By occupied/unoccupied I assume you mean whether or not someone is in the shower. That is not always a valid test of the tile, but in this case I would assume a leak at the shower arm's elbow, or, more likely, a crack in the shower arm outside the elbow where tape would not seal it.

ivan1261

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses- it's a little confusing in that the water leaking is dead cold even when I have the faucet hard over max hot. It couldn't cool down that quickly so it has to be a cold water side leak. I will check out the suggestions.

I don't believe it's a leak through the tile- the tile is new, grout sealed and underlayment is Durock (replacing the sheetrock there previously).

ivan1261

Reaction score
PS- unable to cut access as the piping is in the common wall of a multi unit townhome.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks