Smaller sheets of drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am hanging 8x4 sheets of drywall and all is going well.

Torwards the end of my project I will probably have some 4x4 offcuts left. Is it OK to hang these on long stretches of the final wall or should I go out and buy some more 8x4s?

In other words, is it OK to use more smaller pieces and have more butt joints?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In other words, is it OK to use more smaller pieces and have more butt joints?
That depends on how hard you want your taper to work.

The question is:
Do you want to save $10 on a sheet of drywall and pay the taper for all the extra joints?

or

Pay $10 on a new sheet of drywall and the taper has less work to do.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Drywall end result

The more factory seams you have the better.

Butt joints are hard to feather out and you will pay extra to the taper if you have little squares of drywall all over the place.

Try and unload the drywall on craigs list before you recycle it.

Most of the large drywall stores will pack in the right size sheets for each room 8', 10' and 12's etc.

The box stores don't usually carry these oversized sheets and having them helps reduce the waste generated by using stock 4'x8' sheets.

Good Luck

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Perhaps I will keep tthe smaller sections for the soffits. That way I'll get four foot lengths but with the tapered ends.

I love drywalling. It's bloody hard work, but some of the little tricks you learn along the way are magic.

I like using the router. Took a bit of practice though.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Along my exterior walls in the basement there are bits that stick out to hold up two steel I-beams. I have therefore had to shape the wall round these, to maximize space. I also have some nooks and crannies on sections of wall that are just over 4 feet. This means the waste is just under 4 feet and often just a snippet too short to use elsewhere.

I can't lift 10' or 12' drywall on my own. I struggle enough with 8'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks