Water use - hissing G-Max Korky 528 fill valve - Quiet Fill

Users who are viewing this thread

urdrwho

Reaction score
I'm laughing. You are right, I didn't read the instructions...just installed it.

Thinking now I did see adjustments available on the tower. Maybe I should go by the just let it be, if it ain't broke......don't fix it.

The fluidmaster has two adjustments for height...the fine one you adjusted on the float, and a second one to adjust the total height of the tower...if I remember correctly, you twist the whole thing like a screw, and the thing expands. You may need to remove it from the tank to have enough clearance to do it. It is described in the instructions, which you probably didn't read...

oolatin79

Reaction score
Toto G-Max Flushing System Filling Problem (Water Re-Filling)

Hi All, we have a couple of of 3-4 year old Toto toilets that are exhibiting the following flushing system problems:

1) An abnormal start/stop filling process
2) They keep trying to fill even after they're at the stopping point

So basically, as soon as you flush, the flushing sytem (g-max) starts the filling process, but instead of the usual constant fill then stop, it first starts to fill for a couple of seconds, then stops for a second, then starts to fill again then stops again and so on. When it gets to the point where it should stop filling (overflow hole), it keeps going with the stop/start fill routine for another 30 seconds on one of the toilets, but on the other toilet, it can sometimes go on like this for minutes (sometimes we even have to flush again to get it to stop).

I made sure that the drain plug is resting over the drain hole nice and firm. I even pushed down on it while it was doing the fill/stop routine to see if it would make it stop, but it made no difference, it still kept trying to fill even though the water level was at about where it should stop.

Does the flushing system need replacing? Is there something clogged? A broken seal somewhere? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Miguel

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pick up an assembly cap at Lowes Hardware and replace it.
$2.47 near the Korky parts in the plumbing section.
No tools, and less then a minute to replace.

korky_cap.jpg

oolatin79

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for merging my post in, and thanks for the awesome prompt response. I'll try the fill valve replacement and post back with the results. Have a great weekend. Thanks again sir!!

oolatin79

Reaction score

Woohooooo....the fill valve replacement caps did the trick. The washers on both caps were warped. Thanks again for the help Terry!!!!!

mdaffin

Reaction score
Toto Supreme not always filling water with tank

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I picked up the Supreme, and it is a god send compared to the "Wellworth". However, there does seem to be some problem filling the tank with water periodically. I remove the lid and give the inlet valve a jiggle and it starts to fill the tank for the next flush. I don't see any room for adjustments. Any thoughts on what is required for a permanent fix?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the valve is sticking, it may need cleaning or a cap replacement.

korky_cap.jpg

www.terrylove.com/korky

Leeroy

Reaction score
Korky 528 question

I installed a korky 528 anti-siphon float valve over a year ago and have had no problems up until now. There is a slow leak somewhere, and I can hear a squeeling soud as the pressure builds within the valve and a slow leak is occuring slowly filling the tank. Is there a remedy to fix this problem that has occured out of nowhere, or do I need to get another replacement kit? Thanks in advance for the info.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For less than $3, you can replace the cap - takes 30-seconds or so. That will probably fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry,
I just repaired my Toto 528 valve by following your instructions. As you said, under a minute with no tools! The tank was filling in fits and spurts. Following your directions, I removed the cover, float, cap, and center tube, and found a small rock in the strainer! Rock removed, everything reassembled, and tank filling perfectly in under a minute.
Andrew
Takoma Park, MD

Jaze

Reaction score
I killed Toto! And a plea for understanding...

After reading Donna Shoemaker and Terry's original "Toto toilet keeps running", I replaced my Toilet Fill Valve Cap in time-proven manner. However! While it's pretty clear that the cap has been properly replaced, I've kind of bollixed up putting everything back together.

Now the blue tower thing (what the hell IS that, anyway?) is sitting higher in the water, I think, and has a more limited rotational range. The metal rod connecting to the flush handle now sits underneath the blue cap area, so if I want to flush, I have to lift the rod around and over the blue cap area, and if I want the toilet to fill, I then have to lower it around and under the blue cap area. And the toilet is still running energetically.

I've been turning the flow of water off at the wall supply tap (sorry, don't know correct term); today I opened it up fully to use the Washlet and fill the tank and whatnot, and notice after a few minutes there was a dribble of water from the wall supply tap (again, sorry). I'd not seen that before, and wondered whether I'd opened the tap too far.

So:
1. What should I do re: the toilet tank situation - still running, blue tower thing probably isn't in the right place, metal rod getting stuck on the blue tower. I think the cap went in properly, and the flapper was replaced within the last year or so; when I turn the tap off and leave for the day, when I come back in the evening the tank is still full, so I don't think the flapper leaking is the cause of the running.
2. Should I be worried about that dribble from the wall supply tap (sorry)? It stopped when I turned the tap closed.

Here's a photo of my assembly:

Hmm. I'm not sure if this will work - it's a Facebook link. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for any advice people would care to offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A ll you had to do was pop the plastic top off.
There was no need to change the height of the tower.
Now you need to go back, pull the locking tap at the bottom, and set the tower lower, and then reset the tab.

That's why we so, just pot the top cap off. Why mess with the tower height, when it's already set correctly. Just leave it alone.

Jaze

Reaction score
Really, I had no intention of changing anything other than the cap. But the cap was lodged in there pretty tightly, and I wasn't able to get it off without a lot of jiggling, during which time I must have reset the height of the tower.

To do what you described, do I have to drain the tank, pat the bottom dry etc?

And do you think the dribble from the wall supply tap is a problem? My water pressure is pretty high.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the "wall tap" you're referring to is the supply valve, it should never leak and should always be turned completely on. If the valve is leaking, it may just need to have the packing nut tightened. New valves use 1/4 turn to go from off to on and replacement is a simple process. Also, your say your pressure is pretty high. Have you measured the pressure with a gauge? If it is excessive, it definitely can damage your toilet as well as dishwasher, washing machine, and any other appliance using internal shut off valves. Pressure gauges are cheap and can be purchased in virtually any hardware store. If you have a pressure regulator, it may need replacing, but test the pressure first, don't just guess.

eluke7

Reaction score
GMAX fill issues

I have had my two toilets with Gmax fill valves for about a year. They flush great, however I have the same problem with both recently. They fill to the line on the tube where it should be after a flush, but sometimes later on when i look inside the tank, the water is at the edge of the pipe above the line. I can hear or see no leaks, and have not been able to witness it fill past the line like that. It happens slowly i guess and not on every flush. Do I need to just change to the Korky fill valve, the one without the white screw adjuster? As much as the Gmax flushes well, it sure don't seem to last very long!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take the cap off and flush it out along with the filter. You may have some grit caught underneath the cap. If that doesn't help, replace the cap - takes a minute or so and it will restore it to new. I think there's a 5-year warranty...call Toto and I think they'll send you new. If you are on a well, you may get some occasional sand or grit. It can also happen on public water systems when they flush the lines or you turn the water off to do some maintenance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks