Is it wise to install service panel on outside of house?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobwilli

Reaction score
I need to have an upgraded service panel installed for my 1948 stucco house. Since the clothes dryer needs to be right under where the new panel would be and code doesn't allow this, an electrician suggests mounting the panel on the outside of the house. I am skeptical of the wisdom of this.

How common is such an outside installation?

This seems rather insecure and vulnerable to tampering by someone unauthorized. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I would not have my box outside the home...

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
In some locals, it is very common to place the panel outside.
Have you driven around town and looked to see how many are?
220/221 places all his panel outside!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd not want to go out in a wet, rainy night to reset a breaker...shouldn't happen often, but I'd rather do it in my shorts, in my own house in the middle of the night, if needed. Now, moving a panel can get expensive, so it depends on how much you're willing to spend, and convenience. You can buy lockable panels, so the neighborhood punks don't just shut you off, but then you have to find the key and hope the lock hasn't frozen up when you do need to get inside it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
panel

As long as it is a weatherproof panel and you put a padlock on it, you should have no problem. Here, the panels are either outdoors, or there is a master switch/breaker at the meter controlling an indoor panel. The city/utility require an outdoor access after the meter to disconnect the entire house if needed.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drive around back behind buildings. Drive behind shopping centers for example. And you will see plenty of main electrical panels mounted outside.

Might be difficult to drive behind houses in your area since there may not be alleys, but if you drive around, follow the electric lines going to houses, then you should see many electric panels mounted on the sides of homes. Some on the front of homes in older areas.

Quite common!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While is some areas it may be common the question asked was is it wize...the answer is no..

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would it not be wise to install an electric panel outside?

I've lived on the west coast all my life and everybody I know has their main panels installed outside. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with this???

Also no one I know has their outside electric panels locked (for their house). I don't have mine locked.

Enlighten me please! :confused:

(Also I know the fire department likes to switch off main power to buildings when there is a fire. Around here that is the first thing they do when they get to a burning building - switch off the main breaker on the outside panel...)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am surprised that you can't even see how inconvenient it is or could be to turn on a breaker should it trip...

You have been lucky I guess...

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am surprised that you can't even see how inconvenient it is or could be to turn on a breaker should it trip...

You have been lucky I guess...

Oh I see!

Actually I have a main panel outside and a subpanel inside with easy to reach breakers.

Also I have all 20 amp circuits for all the 120 volt things and dedicated circuits to all the power hogs, so I never have any breakers trip.

Anyway that is a good point, having the individual breakers inside. I agree that would be a good reason to have a main panel inside.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Also having the panel outside makes running new circuits MUCH harder. Similar to when the main panel is inside a finished space flush in a finished wall.

Unless forced to, I see absolutely NO benefit to have the branch circuit panel outdoors and several drawbacks.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

A) How often do you trip breakers? :confused:

B) How hard is it to walk outside and reset a breaker? :rolleyes:

At least we don't have to climb the basement stairs and move a bunch of crap that is stacked in front of the panel :D

Panels are always outside here in the Southwest. That's how we roll :cool:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

WHen there may be a 6' snow drift by the panel, flipping the breaker becomes a much more annoying task. So, those living down south or on the west coast may never have experienced the inconvenience. You flip the breaker for more things than just resetting it. It's wise to turn it off for certain maintenance operations as well, and while marking them is supposed to be pretty comprehensive, finding the right one can be a pain, especially if alone and you have to walk all the way around the house to figure it out if you got the right one. Nicer to work on in the rain or snow, too.

I'll continue to have mine inside, thank you very much...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
breakers

One of the major differences as to where it is mounted is whether you have a basement or not. If not, then finding a good spot to put a panel indoors where it is not obtrusive or a nuisance, can be difficult. That is why we have them outdoors. But then, we do not have 6' of snow, 30 below weather, or blinding rainstorms either.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
When my Christmas display is setup it never fails that a heavy rain will trip a GFCI breaker
I usually wait until the next day to reset them
Other then that very rare a breaker trips
But Murphy's law seems to indicate when one does trip it will be a circuit you need & pouring rain out
I've never had anything stacked in front of the panels
That's against code ;)

bobwilli

Reaction score
You all have given me a good and entertaining education! Thanks. I have asked some more questions of one of the installation bidders, and he said that code requires only that there be a 30" clear space somewhere beneath the panel, not necessarily centered under it as I had thought based on what some contractors said. Since the clear space can start under the left edge of the panel and extend to the right 30", I can make that work inside since I can move the dryer just out from under left edge of the panel, and I can easily clear 30" to the right.

Does that agree with what you all know about code, or could that be specific to Oregon or Salem where I live?

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
30 inches side to side and it does not matter where you start the measurement, and 36 inches in front.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
A) How often do you trip breakers? :confused:

At least we don't have to climb the basement stairs and move a bunch of crap that is stacked in front of the panel :D

Panels are always outside here in the Southwest. That's how we roll :cool:

I grew up in WI and moved back here after living in Oregon. Here in WI I have NEVER seen a branch panel outside. I have seen a pole mounted panel for farm distribution (4 to 6 large breakers feeding various buildings) When I lived in OR some of the places had out door breakers. Every single out door breaker panel I have seen has been corroded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks