Is it wise to install service panel on outside of house?

Users who are viewing this thread

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Panels down here are usually in the attached garage, quite often the other side of the wall from the meter.

Joetime

Reaction score
The NEC requires the service cable to terminate at the service disconnect as soon as it enters the house. If your meter is at one end of the house and panel is at the other end then a main disconnect can be located either outside or inside on the meter side. Nothing about the panel inside or outside. For installation convenience the meter and disconnect can be sold as one unit and most power companies require the meter outside.

Reaction score
It is ABSOLUTELY the common, done thing in Los Angeles.

Admittedly we don't get lots of rain.

And I have seen many arrangements were the branch circuits are on a sub panel inside and all the heavy work is done in the main panel.

I'm looking at a likely repanel just now for my current client. He has a 8/16 sub in the house, and that would stay where it is, and the new one would move around to the side of the house.

Except for the potential of rain, I don't see any issues at all. I have never heard a customer complain that some kids had messed with their panel.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They put the panels outside here.

And we are near the salt water. It does not do any good for the breakers or wire.

I do not think it is a great idea if you have a choice, Even if code says it is OK.

With all of the smart meters now a days, The fire dept will kill the power, by remote, and don't even need to get to your panel, or smart meter.

Have Fun.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
It is ABSOLUTELY the common, done thing in Los Angeles.

Admittedly we don't get lots of rain.

And I have seen many arrangements were the branch circuits are on a sub panel inside and all the heavy work is done in the main panel.

I'm looking at a likely repanel just now for my current client. He has a 8/16 sub in the house, and that would stay where it is, and the new one would move around to the side of the house.

Except for the potential of rain, I don't see any issues at all. I have never heard a customer complain that some kids had messed with their panel.
The rain is not the issue. The issue is that the main panel is outside. Period.
Stupidest thing in the world IMO.

Oh, and we can thank new member Joetime for dragging up a four year old thread. Why is anyone's guess. :rolleyes:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Very common in the bay area too.

Back in Texas, my panel is in the walk-in master bedroom closet. If I upgrade, it'll have to go outside or be a major hassle to move. No permit required -- although the NEC still applies...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks