(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it wise to install service panel on outside of house?

Default breakers

One of the major differences as to where it is mounted is whether you have a basement or not. If not, then finding a good spot to put a panel indoors where it is not obtrusive or a nuisance, can be difficult. That is why we have them outdoors. But then, we do not have 6' of snow, 30 below weather, or blinding rainstorms either.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

When my Christmas display is setup it never fails that a heavy rain will trip a GFCI breaker
    I usually wait until the next day to reset them
    Other then that very rare a breaker trips
    But Murphy's law seems to indicate when one does trip it will be a circuit you need & pouring rain out
    I've never had anything stacked in front of the panels
    That's against code
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Default Is it wise to install service panel on outside of house?

You all have given me a good and entertaining education! Thanks. I have asked some more questions of one of the installation bidders, and he said that code requires only that there be a 30" clear space somewhere beneath the panel, not necessarily centered under it as I had thought based on what some contractors said. Since the clear space can start under the left edge of the panel and extend to the right 30", I can make that work inside since I can move the dryer just out from under left edge of the panel, and I can easily clear 30" to the right.

Does that agree with what you all know about code, or could that be specific to Oregon or Salem where I live?

30 inches side to side and it does not matter where you start the measurement, and 36 inches in front.
    Yes I am A Pirate-Jimmy Buffett

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
    A) How often do you trip breakers?

B) How hard is it to walk outside and reset a breaker?

At least we don't have to climb the basement stairs and move a bunch of crap that is stacked in front of the panel

Panels are always outside here in the Southwest. That's how we roll
    I grew up in WI and moved back here after living in Oregon. Here in WI I have NEVER seen a branch panel outside. I have seen a pole mounted panel for farm distribution (4 to 6 large breakers feeding various buildings) When I lived in OR some of the places had out door breakers. Every single out door breaker panel I have seen has been corroded.
    tjbaudio
    I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell. I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work. My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading. Dyslexics of the world untie!

www.incertclevername.com

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Panels down here are usually in the attached garage, quite often the other side of the wall from the meter.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

The NEC requires the service cable to terminate at the service disconnect as soon as it enters the house. If your meter is at one end of the house and panel is at the other end then a main disconnect can be located either outside or inside on the meter side. Nothing about the panel inside or outside. For installation convenience the meter and disconnect can be sold as one unit and most power companies require the meter outside.

DIY Senior Member Homeownerinburb's Avatar

It is ABSOLUTELY the common, done thing in Los Angeles.

Admittedly we don't get lots of rain.

And I have seen many arrangements were the branch circuits are on a sub panel inside and all the heavy work is done in the main panel.

I'm looking at a likely repanel just now for my current client. He has a 8/16 sub in the house, and that would stay where it is, and the new one would move around to the side of the house.

Except for the potential of rain, I don't see any issues at all. I have never heard a customer complain that some kids had messed with their panel.

They put the panels outside here.

And we are near the salt water. It does not do any good for the breakers or wire.

I do not think it is a great idea if you have a choice, Even if code says it is OK.

With all of the smart meters now a days, The fire dept will kill the power, by remote, and don't even need to get to your panel, or smart meter.

Have Fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homeownerinburb View Post
    It is ABSOLUTELY the common, done thing in Los Angeles.

Admittedly we don't get lots of rain.

And I have seen many arrangements were the branch circuits are on a sub panel inside and all the heavy work is done in the main panel.

I'm looking at a likely repanel just now for my current client. He has a 8/16 sub in the house, and that would stay where it is, and the new one would move around to the side of the house.

Except for the potential of rain, I don't see any issues at all. I have never heard a customer complain that some kids had messed with their panel.
    The rain is not the issue. The issue is that the main panel is outside. Period.
    Stupidest thing in the world IMO.

Oh, and we can thank new member Joetime for dragging up a four year old thread. Why is anyone's guess.

DIY Senior Member Homeownerinburb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    The rain is not the issue. The issue is that the main panel is outside. Period.
    Stupidest thing in the world IMO.

Oh, and we can thank new member Joetime for dragging up a four year old thread. Why is anyone's guess.
    Stupid or not, it is as common as orange juice here.

Very common in the bay area too.

Back in Texas, my panel is in the walk-in master bedroom closet. If I upgrade, it'll have to go outside or be a major hassle to move. No permit required -- although the NEC still applies...