Bath tub drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank G

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short but I'n getting out of my comfort zone. The tub in one of the baths was not set level. The back is app 3/4 in higher than the outside so the tile people had to cut the tile in small angle slices to fit the tile to the tub. In time the small pieces came out and it progessed down hill from that. I have removed the tile and sheetrock. I can get to the back of the tub from a closet and believe I have found a way to lower it. My question pertains to the drain. What do I have to do to insure that I will not cause damage to the drain?
ANy help, or ideas would be appreciated.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Depends what type of waste and overflow assembly you have. Either way, you might want to disconnect it from the tub. Remove the cover plate from the overflow (should just use a screw driver) and if there are screws behind that holding the overflow fitting against the tub, remove those as well. Then remove the spud from the drain in the bottom of the tub. Most unscrew with a spud wrench or put the handles of a pair of pliers in the drain and unscrew it. Then move the tub as required and if the waste and overflow still line up ,reinstall it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

1. The tile installers should NOT have had to cut small pieces if they had laid out the tile properly BEFORE they started.
2. 3/4" is a bit much, but many tubs are installed with a slope so water does not accumulate in a low spot.
3. There is not likely to be any problem with the overflow because even if you lower the tub till it is level, (which you do not have to do), it would only affect the drain by 3/8" which it should be able to absorb with no difficulty.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. The tile installers should NOT have had to cut small pieces if they had laid out the tile properly BEFORE they started.

I was thinking that too.
If the tile contractor had laid a level out, they would have seen the slope, and worked from the lowest point.
It would have looked fine, with almost full pieces of tile.

Frank G

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen.
I did disconnect the overflow and drain before attempting to level the tub. It would seem like a wasted effort. It looks like the tub should have been a reject as that it from my measurements from a level line on the studs it seems twisted. I realize that I should saw the d#m thing out and start over but I'm still looking for a better way. I can purchase cheap surrounds that I then put in place, scribe the bottom and cut so it matches the tub but as of yet the ones I have found look really cheap.

Thanks for the replies.
And I just thought retirement was better. I'm just to old and to worn out to be young again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

IF you could relevel the tub, you should NOT disconnect the drain and overflow from it. You would want the weight of the tub to reposition them if necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks