Want to run new feed to garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Arfeller

Reaction score
I purchased my home about 2 year ago. The previous owner has used an exterior 12/2 with ground direct burrial cable to provide power to the garage.

I would like to add a 220V circuit and up the power to the garage.

I will abandon the 12/2 and run 6/3 with ground (romex, unless there is good reason to use single strand wires) in 2 1/2" conduit (underground). With a directly wired (No master) 100 amp 6 slot box mounted in the garage.

Total wire run length is ~60 feet (box to box including bends). Actual distance is about 45 feet.

I would use the 50 amp circuit in the house panel for the main.

In the box, i would have a 20amp 220v circut, and then two 110v circuits, 15 and 20 amp

So, if there are no problelms with this configuration, i do have a question about the grounding of the 100 amp box. The box comes with a grounding screw to connect the ground strip with the box. Do i use this?

Thank you

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. No romex. Not rated for underground.

Use individual conductors. Black, black and white #8 and green #10 ground.

2. 2.5" conduit is way overkilled. 1" is plenty.

3. Neutral bus (white wires) is to be isolated from the enclosere. Do not install bond screw. Terminate grounds on a ground bar kit.

Also, install two 1/2" x 8' ground rods at least 6' apart and run a #6 wire to the ground bus.

Arfeller

Reaction score

3. Neutral bus (white wires) is to be isolated from the enclosere. Do not install bond screw. Terminate grounds on a ground bar kit.

Also, install two 1/2" x 8' ground rods at least 6' apart and run a #6 wire to the ground bus.

1. Ok, good to know. This will save me on conduit also, I had chose 2 1/2" to get romex through.

3. If i ground the box with ground bar kit, then why do i need to run #10 ground from the house? What will that connect to if I ground the box to the
ground rods?

Ok, I looked into this some more and think I understand. I will bring the grounding wire from the house to the subpanel in the garage. I will connect this to the grounding bar and then connect the grounding bar to the grounding rods. However, this bar will not be connected to the neutral bar with the supplied bolt

Additionally, it sounds like my local code requires me to bring the feed into a 50 amp breaker (with a special bracket to secure in panel) to back feed the subpanel and create a shutoff

This will be used in alternative to the main lugs. Then the other breakers will be installed beside it.
And thank you for the reply!

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Finally a poster with a brain that is not trying to get out of good advice or waiting for someone to tell them what they want to hear. Congrats

Tjbaudio

Reaction score

#8 is too light for a 50A feed. I would go #6.

Arfeller

Reaction score
Thanks again for the input and help.

I have the ditch dug, conduit in, wire pulled, grounding rods pounded...

Only thing I forgot was the darn grounding kit. Need to pick one up for the subpanel to hook up the grounding rods and ground.

:)

traffic626

Reaction score

If he's using conduit, why individual connectors instead of the underground rated wire? I'm asking because I have a 15A powering my garage and I was thinking of re-using the conduit to run a 30A panel.

Regarding the ground rods, are they required if you have them at the meter for the service coming in from the street?

Thanks!
Eddie

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
A better way to look at this is ask why would you use wire suitable for direct bury in conduit. Direct Burial rated wire can be in contact with the dirt, but if damaged you must redig to repair.

Ground rods are required at each structure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks