New Lavatory P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

pensfan84

Reaction score
I'm installing a new lavatory in a fully gutted bathroom - I am able to take care of the drain and vent properly (thanks to many of you on this forum) but my question relates to the fittings for the P-trap. Everything is 1 1/2" ABS, so I am wondering which fitting I should use to connect the sink drain to the drain/vent in the wall?

I'll need to know how to connect the p-trap to the fitting too

I would like to use a plastic p-trap.

I'm pretty much lost as to what to do here - potentially the easiest part of this remodel...maybe I'm over-stressed :p

Thanks in advance

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should adapt the drain to 1-1/4. That is the standard size for a lavatory basin. These fittings are readily available at any plumbing supply store, it's call of all things, a trap adapter! You can easily recognize it, it has threads on one end and there is normally a white cap screwed to that. P traps are also easily found in the plumbing supply house. The usually come in a package, like a kit, that has all of the components you will need. Sales people usually can answer questions about traps without getting into too much trouble. After the adapter is solvent glued to the drain, everything else is hand tightened slip joints. The only place you can go wrong is with the cone shaped and thin flat washers.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks