Are there any "gentle" 90 deg bends for CPVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Artie

Reaction score
I'm making several "turns" in a plumbing line. I can't seem to find any gentle 90° bends. Just the hard right-angle turns. Do these even exist?

Artie

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I realize CPVC is for water supply, (thats what I'm replacing), but am I correct that each 90° bend costs me a little water pressure? Thats why I was hoping to do some gentler bends.

45's will work if thats all there is. Just means more glueing. :rolleyes:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I realize CPVC is for water supply

We worry about sweeps on fittings that are for waste.
Those need to run smoothly for draining and for a future snake.

We don't really worry about water under pressure.
We install flow restrictors on faucets, and connect them with 3/8" supplies.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to remember that inside diameter of CPVC is smaller than the same size pipe in copper. If 1/2" copper is large enough, then you would need 3/4" CPVC. It is the inside diameter what will choke your flow. You also must support CPVC far better than copper.

Artie

Reaction score
Yup, and yup. Thanks to the internet and some good plumbing books, I figured that out. What I find even more interesting is that I have two sections of pipe in front of me. Both labeled as 3/4", and both from Charlotte Pipe. Yet one has a considerably larger ID, OD, and wall thickness than the other. One is CPVC and the other is PVC. The PVC is the larger.

CPVC: ID/.72, OD/.875, wall/.094
L copper ID .785/OD .875/ wall .045
PVC: ID/.828, OD/1.06, wall/.125

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

And when pipe is sized, the nominal/approximate i.d. is the pipe size, but the o.d. MUST be the same as the standard material, either steel pipe or copper tubing. For that reason, regardless of what size the pipe SHOULD be, the i.d. will vary according to the wall thickness, since twice the thickness will be subtracted from the o.d. measurement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks