Test for salt/sodium levels in water

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Quick question....

Is there a test a homeowner can do to check sodium/salt levels in the water?
Sometimes it seems there is a salty aftertaste to my water....

mm

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A softener does not add salt to the water. They add sodium at the rate of 7.85 mg/l per grain per gallon of ion exchange. And if you read some food label to compare that amount to the sodium found in most foods and all waters, you'll usually find that isn't isn't enough to be concerned about.

Let's say you have 15 gpg hard water, * 7.85 = 117.75 mg per a quart+ is less than the sodium content in a slice of white bread. Serving sizes of many foods have much more sodium than a slice of white bread.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quick question... Is there a test a homeowner can do to check sodium/salt levels in the water? Sometimes it seems there is a salty aftertaste to my water...

No. If you can taste it, however, it would be prudent to have your water tested as the concentration likely exceeds 200 mg/L. As I recall you are on a well. If the sodium levels are found to be high it could be naturally occuring or it could from one of several sources, such as a malfunctioning softner, road salt, or sewage effluent.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a hydrometer, which can be found at a pet store that deals with salt water fish and such.

200 mg/L would change the specific gravity by 0.0002. I may be wrong, but I thought those pet store hydrometers had 0.001 gradations. Even if you could, you still wouldn't know what you had x mg/L of.

Reaction score
Previous water tests

I have two tests done on my well water since I've been in the house.

First test 5/21/2003
Sodium level: 236.4 mg/L

Second test 2/6/2007
Sodium level: 51.1 mg/L

The first test was with my old softener unit.
The second test was with my new (and current) sofetner unit, installed in March 2006.

According to the water report, the sodium level should be under 28mg/L.

thanks.
mm

Reaction score
So buy an RO or distiller, or bottled water.

I guess I should have been more clear when I posted my sodium levels. Sorry.

Are those levels high enough that they would impact taste in the water, adding a salty taste?
And, are the raised levels as a result of the water softener? And if they are as a result of the softener, is it a normal by product of the softener or is something malfunctioning?

thanks.
mm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks