stovepipe roof leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a wood stove in my shed that has a 10" insulated stove pipe coming up through the roof with an internal 6 inch pipe serving as the "chimney". The roof is leaking around it. I tried to patch it with roof repair, black asphalt caulk and of course the heat of the stove pipe ruined it. Is there any way to fix it without tearing up the shingles and re-doing the whole set-up? Thanks for any advice.

Jeremy

Timberratt

Reaction score
High temp sealant! Flashing's up-ward leg needs to be under the roofing material. Possible leak above the pipe and is working it's way down (colder weather, wood fire- path of least resistence) excessive flue temp could be ruining the shingles above (very dangerous). What kind of wood stove is it? Is it single, double, or triple wall?

Hube

Reaction score
The original installation should have had a flashing which consists of a flat metal base with a larger diameter sleeve attached to it .The upper part of this base flashing goes under the shingles. .The large diameter sleeve will surround the stove pipe and have a weather skirt attached. This weather skirt would have the only caulking that would be necessary with this type of proper flashing.
I know it will be a bit of work to change it over to this proper method, but it will be much safer and weather tight for years to come.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks