I do not understand edible wildlife in the USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In England, swans belong to the Queen so you cannot eat them unless she says so. Immigrants sometimes do not know this and a few have got in trouble.

Some rare birds of prey are not allowed too. And of course you cannot hunt or fish out of season.

Is there any wildlife in the USA that's off limits for a hungry Englishman?

Or am I about to experience "freedom"?

Cookie

Reaction score
No shooting of Eagles, hawks, or raptors or songbirds. Ever. Hunting everything else goes by the season.

You can always tell which season it is by looking at my property. All the turkeys, squirrels, deers and bears hang out on my property.

Right now I got skunks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I didn't realise songbirds were off the menu.

How about bears?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Edible animals and birds have seasons and each state regulates the seasons, ranges, and bag limits in which they can be hunted. Migratory water fowl are regulated by the Federal Government which has a supplemental license. The most common big game animals include deer, elk, moose, antelope, and bear. There are a few animals that can be hunted for sport but are not generally considered edible. Edible birds include duck and geese, grouse, pheasants, wild turkey. Killing of some birds is never permitted. Hawks, eagles, osprey, owls, and song birds is never permitted anywhere. Generally, each state has a Fish and Game Department that publishes and enforces that state's game laws. If hunting is something you want to do, you need to obtain a copy of your state's game laws and familiarize yourself with them. You would also be wise to determine your eligibility to carry a firearm in the US. If all the the legal requirements can be met, you should then become well acquainted with some locals that you can hunt with. There's more to it that just zipping out to the country and bagging your animal.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...just possession of a feather belonging to a bird that you are not allowed to hunt can land you in jail for 10 years...even if you find it laying on the ground in the middle of the woods or a busy city street.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
In case anyone is going to the UK and are hungry don't hunt these animals.

Pine martens, red squirrels, dormice, all bats, badgers, deer, wild cats, otters, hedgehogs, brown hares and rabbits, shrews, polecats, walrus, porpoise, whales and seals and some species of dolphins

Ha polecats i thought they were only in Yosemite Sam cartoons.
“Look here, you lop-eared polecat, ..

and sorry no hunting your mother-in law when visiting the UK either "shrews"

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Seeing as a gun license might be quite difficult, is hunting with a knife allowed?

I'm thinking grizzly and a three inch blade.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Seeing as a gun license might be quite difficult, is hunting with a knife allowed?

I'm thinking grizzly and a three inch blade.

I think in most places you do not need a license for a rifle. I'd prefer you hunt with a knife, at least that leaves some sport in it. Remember to post pictures of your first (and maybe last) bear you get with that 3" blade.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While hunting with a rifle seems on its face easy...I have deer hunted quite a few years and have yet to even see a deer while hunting...

Ian...you could hunt with a bow...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I once thought about hunting, but thought better of it after listening to Ron White ( blue collar comedy).

" It's 3:00 AM. I'm wet , freezing cold, I don't have any coffee, I have deer urine on my cheeks....." etc.

Get thee to the McDonalds' drive thru!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Ian...you could hunt with a bow...

Ya like Robin Hood

errol-flynn-robin-hood1.jpg
robin460.jpg
robin_hood_men_in_tights2.jpg
robinhood_russell.jpg

Sorry don't know which one you like best...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I can certainly see myself equipped like that out in the Adirondacks poaching some tasty osprey and heron to bring back and roast on a fire.

Who will join me in my merry quest to eat America?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Who will join me in my merry quest to eat America?

Well, that's an interesting way to put it. I did have a fellow who is an historical reenactor a few weeks ago tell me and my family about trapping and eating beaver. (He was talking about modern day trapping too.) I damn near bit my tongue off to keep from making a comment when he said the latter.

There are some things that you can generally hunt to your heart's content at anytime--such as nutria in Louisiana. They are an invasive/imported species of muskrat about the size of a beaver. My wife actually caught one fishing as it was getting dark, it nearly pulled her into the river before I came over to help...but that's another story. Even the Cajuns seem reluctant to eat nutria, and they will put about anything in a gumbo. A few years ago Lousiana was paying a bounty for nutria.

Feral hogs are also available for sport in many states. Look up Hogzilla.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks