Height of tub spout and valve

Users who are viewing this thread

MiamiCanes

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is there any standard (code, tradition, or otherwise) regarding how far a roughed-in pipe for a tub filling spout should be above the top surface of the tub?

Likewise, other than the constraints imposed by the mixing valve itself (8-18" from the valve down to the elbow below), is there any standard (code, tradition, or otherwise) governing how high the controls should be? All things equal, I'd prefer to put the spout at some reasonable height, then put the mixing valve as high above that as I'm allowed to. Even though it would probably be higher than normal for tub controls, it would be more convenient for the specific use case that will apply to ~99.9% of my own use... showering.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub spout outlet must be higher than the flood rim of the tub to preclude possible backflow contamination to the water supply. Keep in mind the neck length on tub spouts offset differ, so where the pipe is verses the outlet will matter. I don't know the exact number, but I would expect something in the order of 2" gap to the tub flood rim or so is required.

Some valves, if also used for a shower, require the valve to be within a certain distance of the tub spout to ensure the resistance is less, so it doesn't back up and water flow out the shower when you haven't used the divertor. Many systems have both the path to the showerhead and the spout both open to the valve simultaneously, so the one with the least resistance gets the flow. These details would be in the installation manual of the particular valve you select. If you have a separate divertor valve, rather than using a spout with one, then the distance probably doesn't matter, since a closed valve would prevent water from getting to the showerhead when you didn't want it to.

moen-tub-outlet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks