Attachments

• singlens.jpg
    singlens.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 754
Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not sure on that one there is nothing that explaines how it works...I suspect magnets...but....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What do you think of your water quality compaired to where you lived last...was your water hard and did you have a softner...

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have not really noticed anything...The pre filter, I just replaced and it was caked with a dark sediment so I guess its doing its job. Im just wondering if over time that however this thing works will it cause restrictions in my water flow? I assume it collects something from the water somehow, but it has no backwash...so it has to plug up eventually. The plumber who was out to my house said they are useless...period, end of story. It was here when I moved in, and I can see they are expensive to buy...would I buy one, probably not. Just wondering what others think of them?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
http://www.waterfilter-usa.com/natursoft-saltfree-softener-13-bathrooms-up-to-75-grains-p-361.html This was in the house when we bought it. Are they any good? or just a big filter.
It uses a mineral called Softsorb etc. which is very very expensive and has an operational life of 5 yrs. There is very little in the bottom of that tank, maybe 18"-20" or a bit more.

It is supposed to make hard water act like softened water. They don't do a good job of that or get anywhere near softened water.

They are not "Salt Free" softeners because they do not remove any hardness, iron, manganese etc. etc. as a softener does.

From that web site;

The Pelican NaturSoft system utilizes a commercial grade media granule, offering you superior performance and unlimited lifespan.

That unlimited lifespan is an outright lie. The manufacturer and the supplier I bought a small one from for testing both say 5 years. And if I wanted to hunt for it, I could find the manufacture's spec sheet that I have for it.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are a couple other companies marketing these same type units, Watts being the one that comes to mind. Though they have some sucess, it is important to note that not only does the media have a finite life (usually around 5 years, depending on the severity of the water conditions) they all are only useful for marginal water hardness conditions.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
Can you get new media for them? and install it yourself? or is it when they reach 5 yrs or so they are garbage? Just curious what then....take it out of the system? Thanks.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
ok, so I know this thing is almost 5yrs old. So should I take it out of the system? and replace it with a softener? If so on a 2 bedroom house with upper bath only, and lower shower only, 2 people here only what would best suit me? Or how would I determine if this Pelican NS3 is still any good?

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
its wet....lol. I really can,t say because it has been here since I moved in. I just think it might be time for a proper softener with this being 5 yrs old. I changed the pre filter a few days ago and it was black with sediment so who knows what the inside of the main one looks like or if it is working? The water seems ok, but only being here 3 months its hard to tell.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If there is a by pass valve, put it in by pass and run water at the sinks after flushing the toilets and see how that feels and how it suds up compered to what you are used to.

Do you have white water marks all over everything the water drys on? If so a softener would probably reduce them but hardness isn't the only cause.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks