Shower Diverter Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

wilsonrandy

Reaction score
I have a 3-handle tub/shower that was leaking. I decided to replace the hardware for all 3 valves while I was at it. Luckily there was a kit available that included new seats, stems, handles, the whole nine yards. Everything went smoothly and the leak is now resolved. However, now when I turn the diverter handle to the shower position, only about 50% of the water is diverted. The rest of the flow continues from the tub spout. I've had this problem once years ago, but I can't recall what the fix was. I am baffled since everything from the seats outward is brand new.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/pp_3.htm

Sometimes you have a loose fitting washer on the center diverter.
If that is missing, it will only divert some water.

pp_3v.gif

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Typically, the diverter stem has a rubber washer at the hose ( this keeps water out of the shower when using tub) AND another gasket, often hard nylon, behind the nose. This stops water from going to the tub during shower. That washer may be missing, damaged at install, OR pieces of the original one may have broken off, and were unnoticed, and are still floating around the body. Remove the diverter stem and have a good looksee with a flashlight ....post some pics.

Asktom

Reaction score
fiber washer

If the valve is like the one in Terry's picture and the old fiber washer (950-060) stuck inside when you took it apart, there are now two washers stacked up there. This won't let the diverter washer (950-040) bottom out and seal against the body of the valve. Try removing that fibre.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks