I do not understand baked beans in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Been here for four years and not had baked beans since I arrived.

Tried to shop for some today and was bewildered.

In England, baked beans come in tomato sauce. If you're lucky, you can also get them with pork sausages in.

Here, the selection is endless and everything it seems is in a bacon sauce.

Why?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...The original baked beans were probably Enlglish became fameous under the name Boston Baked Beans that is where the term Bean Town came from....there is a specific recipe in order to call them that...Here is a recipe from 1880...

Cooking School Recipes, 1880s

Boston Baked Beans Recipe
1 quart pea beans
1 onion (if desired)
1/4 pound salt pork
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup molasses
Soak beans in cold water overnight. In the morning put them into fresh cold water, and simmer until soft enough to pierce with a pin, being careful not to let them boil enough to break. If you desire, boil one onion with them. When soft, turn them in a colander, and pour cold water through them. Place them with the onion in a bean pot.
Pour boiling water over the salt pork, part fat and part lean, and scrape the rind until white. Cut the rind in half-inch strips, and bury them in the beans, leaving only the rind exposed. Mix the salt?more, if the pork is not very salty?and mustard with the molasses. Fill the cup with hot water, and when well mixed pour it over the beans; add enough more water to cover them. Bake eight hours in a moderate oven. Keep them covered with water until the last hour; then lift the pork to the surface and let it crisp. Use more salt and one-third cup of butter if you dislike pork, or use half a pound of fat and lean corned beef.
The mustard gives the beans a delicious flavor, and also renders them more wholesome. Many add a teaspoonful of soda to the water in which the beans are boiled, to destroy the acid in the skin of the beans. Yellow-eyed beans and lima beans are also good when baked.
Much of the excellence of baked beans depends upon the bean pot. It should be earthen, with a narrow mouth and bulging sides. This shape is seldom found outside of New England, and is said to have been modeled after the Assyrian pots. In spite of slurs against "Boston Baked Beans," it is often remarked that strangers enjoy them as much as locals; and many a New England bean pot has been carried to the extreme South and West, that people there might have "baked beans" in perfection. They afford a nutritious and cheap food for people who labor in the open air.​

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...ther is a saying that beans are for lovers...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, Ian, welcome to the club. This died in the wool American can't stand baked beans! I know I am a freak of nature, but never liked them, never touch them!

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, I make my own baked beans and they are to die for... fantastic. They are a meal in itself. Put some corn meal bread on the side, with warm butter.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yum Yum.

Beans, beans, they are good for your heart...

the more you eat, the more you f..t.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
My buddy was telling me about his sandwich last week. Eggs and beans. Ughh. The in-laws friends came over from the East coast and one of them is English so I asked him about it. He said it's great. Apparently beans can go with everything.

I'll stick to having them with hot dogs, hamburgers and as a side for cookouts.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
The only English i like is a "Full English" with "Blood Pudding" lol

english-breakfast-blackpudding.jpg

Ian they don't have Heinz Beanz in your area?

beans_2.jpg

Beans, Beans the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot the better you feel
Beans, beans for every meal.

Cookie

Reaction score
Peter, years ago I was writing obits to earn extra cash and people knew I hated the job so, I tried to be " creative" and make them respectful, yet interesting with a twist. I was basically entertaining myself. Well, I would ask the people calling in about their loved ones and gather some information I could use. On the one the man loved beans. He grew beans. He cooked beans. He ate beans. When the season wasn't right he bought beans. He nickname was, Mr. Beans. And, he worked for the Heinz plant.

Everyone loved Beans.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks