ABS to CI Hub with plumbers putty

Users who are viewing this thread

lloyda

Reaction score
Hello All,

I could use some advise on what to do about this connection I have found under my new (used) house. It looks like someone connected the KS drain to the cast iron using plumber's putty to seal the connection.

Can I have a plumber use oakum and lead wool to fix this and still pass code in California? I was thinking of using the connection as a cleanout instead, the connection is right at the foundation and would seem to be a very good place to have a cleanout (there are no cleanouts in the house, as of yet.)

Thanks in advance

Lloyd

Attachments

• abscastironhub (640x480).jpg
    abscastironhub (640x480).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,189

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hub_donut.jpg

Normally you would use a 2" donut or pour lead for a joint like that.
I use one like in the picture, but a 2"

You can't use plumbers putty.

lloyda

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Thanks Terry,

I had not heard of a donut before. Looked it up on the Internet after your post and found previous posts on your forum about donuts, cannot find a marking for what type pipe it is (sv vs x?) will try sv first. Thanks for your help.

Lloyd

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Be sure to clean the inside of the hub first, because that surface is also a sealing point. I would take the ABS out, pour a lead joint to secure a short piece of cast iron into the hub, and then use the proper transition coupling to connect to the ABS. In the process I would install a cleanout tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks