everything but the kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

slinkywebo

Reaction score
Okay, so I thought I would get an undermount sink for the kitchen, but the contractor said it would cost about $300 :eek: more to install it and that if it needs to be replaced an undermount sink will take longer to take out and I will need to find exactly the same sized sink to replace it with. Furthermore, he says they are not as water tight and that they have more problems than self rimming or flush mount sinks over time. Personally I really don't like the look of self rimming sinks but think my contractor has a really good point and adding $300 to the cost of the sink seems like a lot.

Then there is the question of what material. Stainless steel seems to look scratched quite quickly. I'd love copper, but well, it's not in the budget. What about the granite sink?

I think I have my faucet picked out... The delta Pilar touch faucet.

I haven't even started thinking about the water purifier, reverse osmosis vs. filter.

Comments? Suggestions? I could really use some.

Thanks!!! ET

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

I have installed undermount sinks without ANY additional cost. You make a support system, set the sink onto it so the rim is flush with the bottom of the countertop, and then set the countertop over it after applying a sealer around the rim. Doing it this way allows you to use a conventional flat rim or self rim sink and not the expensive, and usually special order, undermount version. Stainless steel sinks do not "look right" when installed as a self rimmed installation. I do not think I have ever seen a granite sink top mounted. I would go with cast iron regardless of whether it was top or bottom mounted. My own last two sinks were "tile in" with square corners and the first one was rabbeted into the material so it was flush with the surface. That one DID cost extra to mount it. This one is in tile, also flush with the surface.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I plan for a sink to last the lifetime of the countertop. Different people have different opinions of the look and scratching of stainless, vs. porcelain on cast iron, vs. a MAN MADE composite, like Corian, Swanstone, or Silestone. I find Corian very hard to keep clean,but that's my opinion.

Undermounts cost more to install because there is more work involve. IF you install the proper undermount support kit, it will seal just fine and never be a problem. Drop in and rim mount sinks are just as prone to leaking if not installed well.

Yes, an undermount will be harder to replace down the road, but spend money on a top quality sink upfront, and the replacement thing really drops out of the equation.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
high end of the market = all undermount all the time.

There are millions of undermount sinks in the world, so just get what pleases you.

Your guy is a little bit right about some of his remarks, but so what? All these concerns can also be rebutted. Easily.

This thread belongs in the remodel forum. You posted in the general plumbing forum.

Your countertop can overhang a little bit so as to conceal the sink edge.
Whether to get Silgranite or Steel ? Find out more by web searching.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You make a support system, set the sink onto it so the rim is flush with the bottom of the countertop, and then set the countertop over it after applying a sealer around the rim. Doing it this way allows you to use a conventional flat rim or self rim sink and not the expensive, and usually special order, undermount version.

Wow...I had never thought of doing that. Seems like a good idea too and it would be cheaper too.. Thanks for the tip.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks