(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Low pressure from PEX manifold

Default Low pressure from PEX manifold

I just installed a PEX manifold system and have significantly lower pressure than I did with my galvanized system. The copper pipe from the street is 3/4, which I transitioned to 3/4 PEX. I ran straight to the water heater and have less than three feet of pipe from the water heater to a five port manifold and also about three feet of water from the T to the water heater to a ten port cold water manifold. There were no leaks that I could find, so i don't think I'm losing pressure there.
    What could cause a loss in pressure like this?
    Thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/4" PEX is smaller then copper sizing.
    How many bathrooms do you have?

Two full baths.
    In the previous system, the copper transitioned to galzanized as it passed the water heater. How is the diameter of 3/4 galvanized compared to 3/4 PEX?
    The faucets that are closer to the manifold have much better pressure than the ones furthest away if that helps ID the problem.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Water pipe sizing

You should have 1" from the meter.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

What size is the manifold and the pipes leaving it?

Galvanized could be quite small ID after a long time. It's hard to compare old stuff with new pipe. Could be clean, could be the opening of a soda straw or smaller.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I thought I should have one inch from the meter as well, but it is definitely 3/4. I have enough copper to run it to the water heater and just up to the manifolds. I'll try that and see if it helps.
    Thanks

Default pipe

3/4" PEX has only slightly higher capacity than 1/2" copper. What size are the lines from the manifold to the faucets. If they are small, or overly long, that will be the most likely source of your poor pressure.

From the manifolds to the faucets it is 1/2 PEX. The shorter lines were OK, but the longer ones were terrible.
    I replaced the 3/4 PEX with 3/4 Copper and that has helped. The shorter lines now have adequate pressure. I ran 3/4 PEX on my longest run, to the kitchen, but the pressure is sill low. It's about a 30 foot span. I guess I'll have to go 3/4 copper there too.....
    I've learned a lot with this if nothing else. I plan on building a house in the next few yeas and this is valuable information.
    Thanks to all those who replied.