Shower Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

heliosj

Reaction score
The water diverter on my shower spout broke off last night leaving me unable to turn on the shower. So I did a little search on the Internet and I've discovered there are two main spouts -- a slip off secured by a screw and a twist on secured with a thread. My shower spout does indeed have a hole at the very back of the bottom of the spout, leading me to believe it's a slip off with a screw. However, when I stick my finger up there, I just feel a rounded pipe, no screw or divot to undo. Does this mean my spout is a screw off? I tried with all my might and then with a wrench to turn it under clockwise, but it wasn't budging and I don't want to make matters worse.

Is there a 3rd type of spout that I haven't come across yet? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm 95% sure it's a Price Pfister spout.

PPS - This would be a lot easier if I could just replace the water diverter, but I can't seem to find one.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By their location, it is tough to feel or view the setscrew (assuming there's one there!). If there's a slot/hole/whatever there, there's probably a setscrew. It could be recessed quite a bit and you'll likely need an allen wrench the proper size to loosen it.

heliosj

Reaction score
By their location, it is tough to feel or view the setscrew (assuming there's one there!). If there's a slot/hole/whatever there, there's probably a setscrew. It could be recessed quite a bit and you'll likely need an allen wrench the proper size to loosen it.
I have an allen wrench of many various sizes, I tried to stick them all up there, but none of them fit into any hole.. I guess I'll try again in the morning. I haven't taken a bath since I was a kid, but I guess that's what I'll do for now. I just spent a fortune on plumbing recently, I'm bound and determined to do this myself.. :)

heliosj

Reaction score
Update..

I just crawled underneath the spout and shined a flash light up there, there's no place to stick an allen wrench or screw driver up there. I'm either a weakling or that thing is wedged on there.. or I'm missing something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it isn't a slip-on spout, then I've stuck the handle of a screwdriver (not the working end, the handle) into the spout and used that as a lever to unscrew it. Using the shaft end might just split the spout...the handle spreads it out a little more. If it is caulked to the wall, it can be a lot harder to unscrew...you usually need to cut through that first. Make sure you are turning it in the proper direction!

NBachers

Reaction score
Screw-on (threaded) types sometimes have cutaways

I always thought it was to provide drainage, but maybe it's because they can do a production run with the cutaway, and then adapt to either threaded or set-screw type. It sounds like you've got the threaded type that screws on.

As you're trying to twist it off, figure that counter-clockwise is the way to unscrew it. If it won't break free, then try turning it a bit clockwise, then counter-clockwise. You're trying to rock it into giving up it's tightness- kind of like rocking a car out of the snow. Tension in both directions can help break it free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks