Sub Pump wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffGr

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a well 375' from the house. It is supplied via it's own meter from the elect. co. The entire electrical system is about to be condemmed. The overheads run through trees etc. I also need to replace the piping from the pump to the house.
Getting rid of the meter will save me $180 per year in facility fees.
The pump is a 1/2hp 110v. I plan on replacing it with a 220V 3/4 hp next summer.
I need to install the new piping now so plan on running new electrical wiring now as well, while I have the trencher. So the pump will run off the house's electrical service eliminating all other wiring to the pump. I have a new 200 amp service at the house.
With a 3/4hp 220v pump I can use #12 as it goes 480'. I will use a breaker box at the pump as well as a disconnect.
Is there any economical options to use the existing pump on the new wiring? It is too long a run for 110v using #12. I would have to go #6 but the price is out of sight.
I will be using UF cable and burying it 36" down. What is the proper way to permanently splice underground? Can I use crimp sleeves and epoxy filled heat shrink? Or do I have to try and find one run of wire? I'm rural so don't have the options of the big city.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Looks like you need a #6 wire for the distance and voltage drop, not to mention the drop of cable down the well pipe.
I would run 1-1/4" PVC conduit 36" underground next to the water pipe and pull in #6 THWN conductors. Then you don't have to worry about code violations regarding depth. I'd look up the burial depth but my code book is at home...

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You may want to consider running Aluminum type XHHW wire in PVC conduit. That might be your cheapest option.

Jason

Ford2001

Reaction score
voltage drop calculactor

To: 220/221

Me like the "Voltage Drop Calculactor" you posted.

Where its saids: "enter 1-way circuit length in feet"

Is it adding another 100 feet, if the one-way circuit length
is 100 ft. ? I believe it would.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks