septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

HAMLIN

Reaction score
I'm looking at a piece of property that has a house on it that needs torn down. I want to put up a modular and basement. Is it ok to tap into the existing septic? I've had a couple people say I might need to build a sand mound. Why would this be required? I have been holding off on the purchase until i know if I'm able to just tap in or not. Any info appreciated.

HAMLIN

Reaction score
septic

1920's. I was thinking if the septic is in working condition and I got it pumped I could just tap in. Seems like people are thinking I may not be allowed for some reason

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts. Is this area served by a city sewer system? If so, septic tanks probably would not be allowed. Second thought, is there a leech field that is in working condition?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
septic

If the system is functional, then it can be reused. But since the building is destroyed there is no way to verify its condition. A leach field which has been dormant for a long time could have hardened deposits inside it which would compromise its operation. At this point, I would assume you will have to install a new system, possibly if for no other reason than that the tank may be smaller than the current minimum size required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks