rough in basement bathroom. need a drain for dehumidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

oawizeguy

Reaction score
I have a roughed in basement bathroom (pipes in the floor. It gets very humid here) and I have a dehumidifier. I want to hook a drain hose to the dehumidifier so I dont have to empty the tank constantly. Is there a way I can hook a hose running from the dehumidifier to the drain pipe at the roughed in bathroom pipes to get rid of the water? The dehumidifier has a hose hookup, I just need to know what pipe in the floor to hook it to.

TheZster

Reaction score
I would avoid the large 3or 4 inch pipe. That would be set up for a toilet fixture. It's unlikely you could adapt your drain hose to it and make it airtight, avoiding sewer gas in your basement. There should be a 1 1/2 or 2 inch line coming up from the floor. It should be connected to a P-trap (like under your kitchen sink). You should be able to connect your drain to this, preventing sewer gases from coming up through the pipes.

While I don't necessarily agree with the method you're planning, I do understand the expeditiousness and financial aspect of your plan. Keep in mind the possibility of the hose coming disconnected for any number of reasons and your dehumidifier draining directly onto your basement floor... out of sight, out of mind.....

oawizeguy

Reaction score
OOooo, good point. Hmmm, maybe I can find some way to get it wedged through the doors. Its a walkout basement. I'm mostly concerned with trying to get the humidity down enough to keep mold from growing. I plan on getting a heatpump for it next year. And years to come, finishing the basement. The next step for me is getting some sort of water barrier up. Was thinking about using that drylok paint on the cinderblocks. I dont have seepage, just the usual condensation from the block I guess.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/

Last edited by a moderator:

TheZster

Reaction score
Is your dehumidifier located in the basement? Do you have your HVAC system in the basement? If so, there may be a floor drain by the unit for the condensate overflow and a possible location for a dehumidifier drain.

I was under the impression you were going to run the hose from upstairs down to the basement.

oawizeguy

Reaction score
the dehumidifier is in the basement (roll around type). Unfortunatly the upstairs unit is in the attic. It has a drain hose to the back gutter. My setup would be to have the dehumidifier set up with a garden hose off of the collection bucket (has a place to hook up an external hose), then a short run maybe like 3-6 feet to the pipes located in the basement floor. I didnt see any ptrap, must be under the concrete. I could take a picture.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For about $50 you could get a condensate pump like the Little Giant. If is a small plastic box the water drains into, and it has a float switch. The discharge of the pump is 3/8" vinyl tube and the pump is capable of pumping at least 20' vertically and a long horizontal distance. So you could just find someplace to get that tube outside. Or upstairs into a p-trap under a lav.

TheZster

Reaction score
Take the photo.... Since your dehumidifier is rollaround and located in the basement..... your original plan would probably work... if you identify the proper drain line...

I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. theory - as long as it doesn't have potential hazards. If you can identify the "tub/shower" rough in... you can glue on a couple of adapters that will accept the garden hose thread.

Last edited:

oawizeguy

Reaction score
ok here is the picture

dont mind the propane tank and speaker wire (getting rid of next door neighbor)<---joke

Attachments

• basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,837

TheZster

Reaction score
Home Depot time

I would tie in my drain line on the pipe in the front of the photo - closest to you.... the white do-hickey on top is a "pipeless vent". Find adapters
(Home Depot should have them - and I'm pushing them because I just bought a few thousand shares .. :D ) - to:

1. screw into the fitting coming out the side of the pipe. - though you may end up cutting into the pipe below the present screw fitting because I've not seen a screw in adapter that would do what you intend. Still an easy fix.
2. Reduce to a garden hose fitting.

Total cost - less than 10 bucks...

3. Elevate your dehumidifier so the drain pipe is above all connections............ hook up and go........

Remember the most important part of this thread.......... I'm not a plumber... just a DIYer who improvises frequently - but tries to do things reasonably proper.......

If "Jimbo" (or anyone else for that matter) overrides me......... take his advice over mine......

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks