(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: loss of pressure

Default loss of pressure

My jet pump is set for 30 on and 50 off..That seems to work fine but when I turn on my taps the pump comes on at 30 but keeps loosing pressure and when I turn off the taps it will go back to 50 and shut off..I replaced the pressure switch and cleaned out the little nozzle going from my feed but still looses pressure when I turn the taps back on...also the pump takes along time to get back up to 50lbs..Any help would be great Thanks

You are using more water than the pump can deliver. You need a larger gpm pump IF the water source, usually a well, can produce it.

If the pump came on at 30 and the pressure rose, you wouldn't have a problem because that is how the system is supposed to work. The causes of the pressure falling below the cutin when the pump cmes on could be improper air pressure in the pressure tank, a blocked injector in the pump if it is a jet pump or a bad impeller in a jet pump of a worn out submersible pump or water leak in the water line from it to the pressure tank. So, what type pump do you have; a sub in teh wel or a jet above ground somewhere?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

He could have a serious obstruction in the inlet line also.

Quote Originally Posted by de14ge View Post
    My jet pump is set for 30 on and 50 off..That seems to work fine but when I turn on my taps the pump comes on at 30 but keeps loosing pressure and when I turn off the taps it will go back to 50 and shut off..I replaced the pressure switch and cleaned out the little nozzle going from my feed but still looses pressure when I turn the taps back on...also the pump takes along time to get back up to 50lbs..Any help would be great Thanks
    Check your GPM against your pump curve. How deep is your well?

My pump is in my basement,I put a new foot valve on it last year and a brand new line.It has be working good until a day ago.Well is aprox 125 ft. air pressure is 28 lbs.We use alot of water in our household so I thought it may have been the pressure switch. I changed it and still the same problem..Tomorrow I will pull the line up out of the well and check the foot valve for blockage Thanks Guys

Previous member

Are there two lines running from your pump to the well? If so, then there is a jet assembly down the well with a venturi in it that can and does get plugged up. If so, you will need to pull that up, disassemble and clean the jet and put it back down. Do not forget to chlorinate after.

Only 1 line runs down

Then you have a shallow well single line jet pump and the jet is in the pump.

They can only lift water 25' at sea level. So you are possibly suffering from the water level in the well falling when you use a lot of water and the pump can't pump any more than it is. You would be better served with a 2 line deep well jet pump. They can pump from up to 150' deep. And the best choice would be a 1/2 ho 10-13 gpm submersible pump.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks to all input..I got the pump up and running..I ran the main line right to the pump without all the elbows and other couplings..must of had a leak somwhere..also pulled the line out to check footvalve for blockage all is WELL for now Thanks again guys Doug