Toto toilet recall 2007 or Burning Ring of Fire

Users who are viewing this thread

Intrepid

Reaction score
The toilet that Toto recalled was their high tech number, complete "with bidets that have blow-drying, air purification and seat-warming functions".

Apparently some of the hot seats started to smoke, and three actually caught fire.

No one was injured, but what a way to go.

Imagine, sitting there calming reading the newspaper, when flames start - quite literally - licking your but.

Fortunately, there's water available to help put the fire out, but you have to worry about just how flammable toilet paper might be - something that up to now I have never thought about.

Bidets I get, since I'm at least familiar with them from French hotel rooms.

Air purification?

Well, it is sometimes necessary, but isn't that what a spritz of Lysol, an open window, or a match are for?

And a heated toilet seat?

I hadn't realized that toilet seats were all that cold. Yes, the rim of the toilet bowl sure is if you get up in the middle of the night, in the dead of winter, and the man who last used said toilet had neglected to put the seat back down. But a heated toilet seat wouldn't handle this problem at all.

In my experience, toilet seats actually heat up pretty fast on their very own once they come in contact with human flesh, which, in my experience, is not so apt to spontaneously combust. (I do, however, heartily endorse heated car seats.)

I do not have to worry about my plain vanilla toilet going up in flames. I can just keep to my plain vanilla toilet fear - that a rat will come up through it. Yes, we have a special valve that is supposed to prevent back-wash (and rat appearances), but every once in a while I hear something about a rat torpedoing up through the toilet of some unsfortunate urban dweller. Sounds like an urban legend, but apparently it's not - when my friend was a librarian at a Public Library years ago, they had rats coming up through the toilets.

All this to say, where are the plain vanilla toilet clogs located? Toto may be going belly up soon from the fallout of our litigious society.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those were for Japanese wired Washlets, that were never supposed to be installed with US wiring.
Japan has very different electrical, and the models imported for the US, are UL approved. There has been no problem with Washlets for the US market.

Sometimes people buy cameras and Washlets overseas, bring them home and then jerry rig them to work here.
I get a few calls from people asking how to convert the power cord, or how to hook up the metric connection to a MIP connection.

I just tell them, next time, buy it here.
I've been selling Washlets for over ten years in the US, and have never heard of a US recall for products that have been UL listed like the ones that have been testing and approved for the US market.

The reason so many people "want" to bring them back, is that once you've tried them, you can't go back.

The US is way behind the rest of the world, in how they treat their behind.

The US concept of clean is like bringing your kids in from playing in the dirt and rubbing them with paper towels to get the dirt off.

The rest of the world uses water to clean with.

And it's not required that you use warm water to wash with, either cold or warm will wash better then dry paper.
You may want to try this on your dishes too.
Wash them with water, they come out much cleaner then using paper towels.
Heck, you can even use water to wash cloths. I know people in the US like to rub their pants with paper towels to get them clean, but people in other countries use water.

A washlet is the best thing you will ever put in the bathroom.
It feels nice to have a warm seat to sit on in the middle of the night.
And the warm water wash does a lot better job of cleaning.
It even cleans the bowl better.
Some models even have filters for air cleaning.
I think my Toyota Highlander has an air filter too. Even the old 1996 Ford Taurus had an air filter for cabin air.

I don't think TOTO is in trouble, they are the largest plumbing manufacturer in the world, and INAX, other washlet maker that has UL listed products is the second largest plumbing manufacturer in the world.

In Muslim countries in the Middle East, where they wash with water, most homes have stand alone bidets.
They even have them in Guatemala.

Intrepid

Reaction score
Where are the plain vanilla toilet clogs located?

Where do you start checking when the toilet overflows?

After the wwater is turned off, that is :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks