Unbelieveable - Toto clogged!

Users who are viewing this thread

hockeydad

Reaction score
Well, it happened. My son clogged our newly installed Toto Clayton. I had such high hopes :-( He continually clogged the old Kohler, but after reading all the raves here, I bought a Toto hoping..... Oh well, time to give that boy more fiber!

(P.S. he's 16 and no, he's not putting anything in the toilet that shouldn't go there! He just has some very large .. um .. you know.)

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Does not surprise me in the least.

Even my Cadet 3 will clog, but that mainly occurs when you are using the wrong toilet paper.

Are you using the thick comfy stuff like Cottonelle by any chance?

If so, I would recommend moving to a thinner sheet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If they are that large then you need a Caroma Caravelle or Tasman with the over sized trap way...

I sell them with the guarantee that if it clog's within the first year that I will come and unblock it free...I have never been called out....

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
(P.S. he's 16 and no, he's not putting anything in the toilet that shouldn't go there! He just has some very large .. um .. you know.)

The only bowl that will not clog with "very large...um..you know", is the Caroma.
That's what we call a medical issue, found in maybe 1% of the population.
The Caroma is made in Australia, and their trapways are very large.

Reaction score
hockeydad,

You might want to ask your son's doctor about this. My younger kids both had some issues with occasional large and infrequent BM's and this led to some bladder infections for my daughter as well as frequent urination and less than age appropriate bladder control. (As in, "I've got to go RIGHT NOW!") The solution recommended by their physician was pretty simple: give the kids some Miralax regularly. It's polyethylene glycol which stays in the digestive tract. It's a stool softener rather than your traditional laxative.

From experimentation we use a fractional dose every other day or two or three, just enough to keep them regular. And at times they don't take any for weeks. (We've also cut out bananas.)

We gave more for the first few days/weeks to get things started. It took a little time for the large intestine to narrow back to normal proportions.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is Miralax OTC or do you need a prescription...

Since it stays in the digestive tract does it affect mineral / nutrition absorption?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is Miralax OTC or do you need a prescription...

Since it stays in the digestive tract does it affect mineral / nutrition absorption?

Over the counter (now anyway, I think it was prescription a few years ago before I had even heard of it.) Supposedly it does not impact electrolytes/nutrition because it is simply a hygroscopic type material that keeps more water in the stool. It's a stool softener rather than a traditional laxative that would stimulate muscle contractions and the like.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, I have no affiliation with them. In fact, I don't ever recall using any sort of laxative or stool softener personally. When it comes to medication I am a minimalist. I take maybe two dozen pills in a typical year (primarily ibuprofen or acetominophen.)

I wouldn't suggest folks go trying this stuff without asking their doctor first, even though it is OTC.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While I think there is merit in the advice given, I would suggest a visit to a doctor would be the first step. It would certainly make sense that this is a medical issue that should be professionally diagnosed and treated. Getting a different toilet might deal with large stools but it will not treat the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks