Bleeding cold water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mid Night Illusions

Reaction score
To all those that reply to this thank you very much, and this is such a great forum.

So I just bought a house and it has a boiler system for heat. It was working fine till I discovered a leak, it seams that the old owner done paint, rugs, and lower trim but when the done the lower trim they pounded a nail right into the copper line LOL!
So the house is a split 4 level home and has one thermostat the very top floor has 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
The 2 bedrooms on the left have very little heat and the one had the nail repair.
As for the right side one bedroom and one bathroom have no heat none at all??
I've blead the damn thing for a long time and nothing but streight cold water not even an ounce of hot water....?
Like WTF can someone help me I'm a complete newb at this...I'm not reading anymore threads I've read enough and not getting anywere with this lol
thanks again and bare with my newbieness lol.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, has the nail hole been repaired? If not, fix that.

Does the boiler turn on? Are the pipes near it hot? How about after the circulator pumps? Zone valves? ALl fo the valves open?

Are there any bleed valves at the radiators or baseboards in the rooms that are not heating? Can you feel the pipes anywhere along the way to see if they are hot or at least warm?

Basics: the boiler must be working, the circulator must be pumping, any zone valve (if present) needs to be open (many have a manual by-pass in case their motor or controller is shot), and you can't have any air in the system (or at least much). Air migrates to the highest point, but depending on the pitch and layout of the piping, may accumulate lower somewhere. A circulator is rarely big enough to be able to push past an air block, so you have to make that path less restrictive by opening a valve to let it get flushed out. The system needs to have an air extraction system. Some are more effective than others, and they can corrode shut preventing them from working. You need to have the proper water pressure in the system or the safety circuits will prevent the boiler from running.

So, some more info would be needed to help diagnose the thing...

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
I am going to assume you have fixed the section of pipe with the nail sticking out of it.

Sound like you have air in your pipes. Are there any air vents on the upper floors? How are you bleeding the pipes? You will only get cold water unless a zone is calling for heat and your boiler has fired. You need to make sure you have proper flow through each zone (no air).

Mid Night Illusions

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for replying, I went to work today and a guy I work with also has the same oil/boiler setup and he told me to shut off the lower levels of the home and that would increase the pressure to the upper floors were there is no heat and to re bleed them at the rads....

So I went home and did what he said and when I rebled them a burst of air came out and right behind the air was very hot water. Then went back down and turned the lower level back on and now all is fixed woo hoo this is a learning curve for me so thanks for the help everyone I'm sure I'll be back in the near future.

Oh ya and the nail hole was fixed right away, and I also found out that you can't solder a hole LOL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks