Set cast iron tub in mud??

Users who are viewing this thread

Kmoninger

Reaction score
We are remodeling our 2nd floor bathroom and have purchased a 72" Toto cast iron tub. The tub will be placed in the corner of the room and our carpenter has built a surround and a plywood base. The subfloor is in good condition.

Our plumber intends to place the tub in a bed of cement mud but I have heard it's better to place shims under the feet instead. What would you recommend? I appreciate if several of you experts can respond as I need to get advice quickly. The tub goes in on Monday!

Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the tub has legs that's what I would support it by.

John

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why would Toto put legs on the tub if not to support it? It will also be supported by the rim.

John

Kmoninger

Reaction score
Toto says

The installation instructions from Toto say do NOT support the tub by the rim. If we use a mud bed, how will that help level the tub? The tub weighs over 300 lbs - wouldn't it just sink to the bottom of the mud bed?

Thanks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it would just sink...shim with composite shims...

What does the instructions say about leveling...probably to place it on a level floor....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Even if you do use a mud bed, and I have NEVER done so, you would still need to position the tub at the proper elevation until the mortar/cement hardened.

Kmoninger

Reaction score
Tub

The instructions don't say HOW to level the tub, just to do it. I guess I'm going to let my guys do it the way they know how. Maybe the mud comes as the last step, after leveling. I'm sure glad I'm not the one who has to get it done!

Kmoninger

Reaction score
Tub

The instructions don't say HOW to level the tub, just to do it. I guess I'm going to let my guys do it the way they know how. Maybe the mud comes as the last step, after leveling. I do not know.

Total weight, with water, tile and one human will be something like 1,100 lbs. Apparently there's no issue with too much weight as far as the flooring is concerned. I've checked on psi for subfloors and we seem to be ok on that.

I'm sure glad I'm not the one who has to get it done!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks