Low pressure electric water heater after sprinkler inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Boston

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came home after the condo association had been in my unit to flush the sprinkler system out. Apparently the sprinkler technician poured gallons of water into my hot water tank basin. The trustee finally saw what she was doing and grabbed a bucket. I just realized I have no hot water pressure but the cold is fine. I flipped the breakers, I clean up the excess water if that triggered a shut off and still no better. I have read the threads on the nipples but might be a little lost with fixing it myself. Any suggestions? I live in Boston proper if anyone has any suggestions or would be able to help. I need to cool down a bit, this has me fuming. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Also, The condo is 6 years old, the shower I took this morning was very hot and no lack of temp or longer heat times.

Thanks for your prompt replies,

Randy

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

What is the "hot water tank basin"? There should be NO WAY he could dump water INTO your hot water system. ANYTHING that happened to the hot water is probably a coincidence, because the two things should not even be remotely connected.

Randy Boston

Reaction score
re

There is just an metal pan that the hot water heater sits to prevent flooding. So essentially when the water was placed in the pan is filled up two inches and the hot water heater sat in the water. The developer did not elevate the hot water heater on blocks in the pan. If the hot water heater was not damaged by this, then what went wrong? The cold water supply line is open. I drained some of the tank and not much sediment came out. Literally, the hot water pressure was full force when I left to nothing when I got home after the sprinkler inspection. The pipes are copper and 6 years old in a new development. The cold works great. The tank is not cracked/leaking. All I can think of is that the supply line(cold water in) to the hot water heater was shut off maybe or the valve is disfunctioning or clogged. But again, I have no idea.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the valve on the heater was turned off and it's a gate valve in may be broken in the closed position.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
is the hot pressure/volume the same everywhere or just low at the shower? If you open the drain valve on the tank, what is the pressure like there? Flushing lines can dislodge any built-up crud. This can clog the fine passages of the shower head or the aerators of faucets (and sometimes the valve itself). Some valves have screen filters on their inputs, and crud can clog them. The pan around the WH should drain somewhere and it shouldn't have built up. All of the controls are located higher up, so some standing water there for a short time shouldn't be a big issue. If it was a gas fired WH, water on the gas valve means it should be replaced, but that's not your issue. Now, if it was standing in water for ages, yes, it would likely rust things prematurely, but would have nothing to do with low pressure.

Randy Boston

Reaction score
"is the hot pressure/volume the same everywhere or just low at the shower? If you open the drain valve on the tank, what is the pressure like there? Flushing lines can dislodge any built-up crud. This can clog the fine passages of the shower head or the aerators of faucets (and sometimes the valve itself). Some valves have screen filters on their inputs, and crud can clog them. The pan around the WH should drain somewhere and it shouldn't have built up. All of the controls are located higher up, so some standing water there for a short time shouldn't be a big issue. If it was a gas fired WH, water on the gas valve means it should be replaced, but that's not your issue. Now, if it was standing in water for ages, yes, it would likely rust things prematurely, but would have nothing to do with low pressure."

The hot water pressure is pretty much non existent throughout the whole condo. The hot water heater is on the first floor. The faucet in the bathroom has a constant dribble when on. The pressure does not get upstairs to the second level. the faucets have nothing. I have drained at the base valve and it poors out like an outdoor hose(full pressure). I just don't want to drain it too much because the heating filiments can fry if it is empty and on..(right)( the hot water heater is hardwired)? I have turned off the cold water intake valve and then nothing comes out of the faucets downstairs, but when I turn it back on the 0.05mm stream begins again. how would I flush the valve? I have read about the dime trick to replace the screen filter in the faucet to back flush it with the cold water but I don't want to mess anything up. any other ideas folks? THANKS

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect the shut off valve on the intake line to the tank is either not turned on fully. Either just needs to be opened or it could be broken and needs replacing. I was probably turned off when the sprinklers were check to isolate tank. Open the drain cock on the tank. It should have a full flow, and if it doesn't, then the intake valve is not open.

Randy Boston

Reaction score
The drain cock is full flow when I open it but that may be from gravity. I estimate I have emptied 2 gallons. The cold water intake valve seems to open. When I open it from the closed position I hear some flow, however, I have no idea how much water is flowing. any other ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should always have the inlet valve fully opened. this should ensure the tank doesn't try to run with an element exposed. Just make sure it is full after maintenance (if drained) before restoring power. Opening the drain valve with the inlet open is not much different than opening the shower valve...you shouldn't be able to drain the tank, thus no problems.

If your tank has heat traps, depending on the type, the outlet one may be stuck. A whack with a mallet might dislodge it. Since you have good flow into the tank (as evidenced by a good flow at the drain valve), and it is common to all, it has to be somewhere between the outlet and the end points...most likely is a stuck heat trap.

Randy Boston

Reaction score
A plumber is coming by Friday am. Hopefully it is a quick fix. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks