Closet flange replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

johnfrhea

Reaction score
in the course of replacing our old american standard, i discovered that at some time in the past (we have been here since 2001) a repair flange had been mounted over what I believe could be the original closet flange. the screws that held the repair flange had rusted out and the flange was no longer secure. i removed that flange & cleaned up as best I could leaving the original in place (see picture). it appears that what i am looking at is somewhat damaged & may be the original (??) flange with some kind of soft rubber seal stuck to the top surface.

My question is - should i attempt to replace this completely or place a repair flange over the top? if i need to replace it, how do i get the old one out. if i repair it how do i attach it - i believe we're on a concrete slab.

another thing to consider is that the replacement toilet seems to be somewhat limited in spacing width underneath for the closet flange (the old repair flange had tabs sticking out that actually come into contact with the under sides of the toilet before it seats properly. the replacement is an older (but unused - still in the box) american standard one piece.

i am on a very limited budget at this time & any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, :j

Attachments

• closet_flange.jpg
    closet_flange.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,152

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
redring.jpg

I use the red ring to hold the closet bolts all the time.

Use new closet bolts, and screw down the new ring,
clean things up a bit and use two wax rings.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks