Has the Kohler Portrait Toilet been redesigned?

Users who are viewing this thread

ezdad

Reaction score
We have a Kohler Portrait Toilet which is at least 16 years old. Has the flushing technology changed since then internally? The one we have doesn't work well, and we are constantly plunging (or using the other bathroom). We have a matching sink, so would prefer to keep the same design.

We've had conflicting answers from local plumbers & plumbing stores.

If we buy one that looks just like the old one, will the flush improve or are we flushing money ;-) and buying the same thing we have? According to the spec sheet, it uses 'Ingenium' technology. I hope someone has some insight into this.

kohler-portrait-toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler toilets today are one of the worst on the market. This ain't the old days when the Kohler name meant something. The low flow mandate has created a totally new ballpark and several of the old, well-known names didn't make the team. The best toilets on the market today are Toto.

portrait-k3591-01.jpg

Reaction score
Doesn't the age and "Ingenium" bit mean this is one of the early, low performance 1.6 gpf toilets? If so, it needs to go. Kohler's of that era were in the 125 gram MaP rating if I'm reading one of Terry's recent posts right. That is even worse than the 150 gram rating of the 1994 Gerbers I just removed. If you flush before you wipe they might not plug. (Actually, I'm kind of proud of our having only rarely plugged the Gerbers...despite using Northern toilet paper that we really like, but is not the easiest flushing paper. We had developed strict rules about how many sheets of paper to use max before a mandatory flush.)

When you say it matches the sink...what needs to match? Color? Shape?

ezdad

Reaction score
The Kohler portrait series has matching design elements that we like. If it has improved in the last 15+ years, we would rather keep the same style. We may have to go with Toto Promenade, as an alternative.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of Kohler's major problems with their toilets has been trying to use old designs with less water. They have changed many things with the flushing mechanics, but have not seemed to grasp the idea that toilets clog when there are sharp bends in the trap ways. The now have literally hundreds of different flush valves which make it impossible of a supply house to even attempt to stock them. Often when ordered from Kohler, the consumer finds one of several possibilities. One of which is the toilet is no longer supported. Another may be the price of the parts is as much as many complete toilets cost. Yet another possible problem is it may take weeks for the part to be delivered. Then even after all of those problems are dealt with, the toilet is still prone to clog frequently. Toto makes so many styles, it seems impossible to me that you can not find something that will be suitable.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"ingenium" is Kohler's marketing word for a combination of siphon jet method plus swirling action of rim flush. It's flushing performance is average, but probably better than your old one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ingenium will work pretty much like what you already have.

Ingenium was their new name for 2" flapper.
It's still a 2", like they have had for the last 100 years, and the same sharp bends in the trapway.

It's works for some, and for others, they should keep a plunger handy.

ezdad

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. You've convinced us to go with Toto. The Eco Promenade looks like it will fit with our bath style.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks