question about well water testing and fixing

Users who are viewing this thread

Fitzy

Reaction score
Hi,
We moved into our home about 6.5 years ago and we had our water tested before we moved in by the lab that does the analysis for Tiger Home inspetions. Last week we had someone from one of the big name companies come out and do some tests in our house using a hach kit and the results were surpriingly different, then he proceeded to push a $5,500 system on us to improve our water. Is there a chance that our water has changed that much? Should I have it re-tested by a real lab again? Here are some of the results:

6.5 years ago
Iron .15mg/l
manganese .01 mg/l
Hardness 10.3 mg/L
TDS 49.2 mg/L
pH 5.15

last week
Iron .not detected
manganese .(can't remember because I'm a bonehead, but thought they were much higher)
Hardness 6GPG
TDS 40mg/L
pH 5.8

The reason why I'm asking is I can't stand the whole house water filter I'm using, and want to at least get rid of it to improve my water pressure, but then my water is dirty and smells/tastes metalic (guessing high Iron, copper or manganese). We also get yellow stains in the laundry occasionally (especially with bleach). I know I need to get a pH neutralizer- I'm replacing copper elbows fairly frequently, but I also want to know how to clean up the discolored water. Also, I'm not sure about a softener.

If I go with a softener do you think a whirlpool 40,000 grain capacity will work? And the pH neutralizer I'm looking at is sold by sears. I certainly can't afford $5,500 on this set up no matter how much free soap I get, and these 2 units should fall into my relatively low price range if I install them myself. Also, will either of therse reduce water pressue?

thanks for any help
Matt

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi,
We moved into our home about 6.5 years ago and we had our water tested before we moved in by the lab. Last week we had someone from one of the big name companies come out and do some tests in our house using a hach kit and the results were surpriingly different, then he proceeded to push a $5,500 system on us to improve our water. Is there a chance that our water has changed that much? Should I have it re-tested by a real lab again? Here are some of the results:

6.5 years ago
Iron .15mg/l
manganese .01 mg/l
Hardness 10.3 mg/L
TDS 49.2 mg/L
pH 5.15

last week
Iron .not detected
manganese .(can't remember because I'm a bonehead, but thought they were much higher)
Hardness 6GPG
TDS 40mg/L
pH 5.8
I don't see a lot of difference and it is 6.5 yrs later. I am assuming this is your own well and if so, a new well will usually show a difference in water quality after it has been used for awhile.

You seriously are damaging/have damaged your copper tubing and all other metals in contact with this water in your house. The wall of the tubing will be substantially thinner. Plus that can add copper to your water which can be a serious health concern.

A backwashing acid neutralizing filter is very affordable, and costs much less than fixing leaks and their associated water damage.

The reason why I'm asking is I can't stand the whole house water filter I'm using, and want to at least get rid of it to improve my water pressure, but then my water is dirty and smells/tastes metalic (guessing high Iron, copper or manganese). We also get yellow stains in the laundry occasionally (especially with bleach). I know I need to get a pH neutralizer- I'm replacing copper elbows fairly frequently, but I also want to know how to clean up the discolored water. Also, I'm not sure about a softener.

If I go with a softener do you think a whirlpool 40,000 grain capacity will work? And the pH neutralizer I'm looking at is sold by sears. I certainly can't afford $5,500 on this set up no matter how much free soap I get, and these 2 units should fall into my relatively low price range if I install them myself. Also, will either of therse reduce water pressue?

thanks for any help
Matt
What type filter do you have? It may be undersized or need rebedding or you wouldn't notice a pressure loss.

Do you have any galvanized pipe or nipples/fittings?

Big box store brand softeners or filters are a poor choice because of their ABS plastics and cheap quality control valves.

Fitzy

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of difference and it is 6.5 yrs later. I am assuming this is your own well and if so, a new well will usually show a difference in water quality after it has been used for awhile.

You seriously are damaging/have damaged your copper tubing and all other metals in contact with this water in your house. The wall of the tubing will be substantially thinner. Plus that can add copper to your water which can be a serious health concern.

A backwashing acid neutralizing filter is very affordable, and costs much less than fixing leaks and their associated water damage.

What type filter do you have? It may be undersized or need rebedding or you wouldn't notice a pressure loss.

Do you have any galvanized pipe or nipples/fittings?

Big box store brand softeners or filters are a poor choice because of their ABS plastics and cheap quality control valves.

Thanks for your reply.
I have one of those cheap cartridge style filters and change it about every 3 weeks. So that's definately where my water pressure is going. I don't have any galvanized fittings that I know of- just stainless on the go-zinta side of the pump and copper on the go-zouta side.

When I saw the difference in hardness between the 2 tests, I thought somtething was up. I thought 6gpg was equivalant to ~100mg/L. my test results from 6.5 years ago were done by what I feel is a pretty compitent lab. They tested for what I think is everything (metals, various nitrogen-NH4, N02, NO3, coliforms, conductivity, sediment turbidity, odor, and the list goes on). If you don't think it's terribly necessary to re test then I'll think about it some more.

I know the big box store brands aren't great, but I'm pretty sure I can install it myself and save soem cash. maybe I'll try to get quotes from some locals for cost of parts and seperate intall charges.

Thanks,
Matt

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I know the big box store brands aren't great, but I'm pretty sure I can install it myself and save soem cash. maybe I'll try to get quotes from some locals for cost of parts and seperate intall charges.

Thanks,
Matt
You're welcome.

If you are wanting to be a DIYer, you can buy online and install it yourself. You'll save quite a bit of money and get the same or better quality than a from a local dealer. I suggest equipment with a Clack WS-1 control valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks