15 GPM enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

ramor

Reaction score
I just had a well installed (new construction)and I didn't realize before the install that I would be getting only 15GPM with a 1-1/2HP pump. The well is 218 feet deep and the outlet pipe is 1-1/4". The well is constant pressure with a cycle stop valve. I plan on having an irrigation system for between 3/4 - 1-1/2 acres and it will be zoned.
I talked to the installer today and he said he could up the pump size to a 2 HP but he would have to check to make sure the wiring size and the pipe size would accomadate the larger pump. He also guesstimated that it would cost me an additional 5 to 6 hundred and it would give me in the neighborhood of 20 GPM flow.

Do I need the larger pump or should I just stay with the 1-1/2 HP pump?
Thanks

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
I just had a well installed (new construction)and I didn't realize before the install that I would be getting only 15GPM with a 1-1/2HP pump. The well is 218 feet deep and the outlet pipe is 1-1/4". The well is constant pressure with a cycle stop valve. I plan on having an irrigation system for between 3/4 - 1-1/2 acres and it will be zoned.
I talked to the installer today and he said he could up the pump size to a 2 HP but he would have to check to make sure the wiring size and the pipe size would accomadate the larger pump. He also guesstimated that it would cost me an additional 5 to 6 hundred and it would give me in the neighborhood of 20 GPM flow.

Do I need the larger pump or should I just stay with the 1-1/2 HP pump?
Thanks
That is a small difference in price. What kind of system will you have? What size water lines do you have? If they are not big enough it would not be worth it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can do a lot of irrigating with 15 GPM. You may have to start early and stay late to get across but, 15 GPM is 21,600 gallons per day. With the CSV, you can zone for 15 GPM during the late night hours, and 10 GPM during the daytime hours. This will leave 5 GPM, which should be enough water for the house during the day time.

ramor

Reaction score
Nothing is connected yet. The sprinkler system will be connected to the 1-1/4" line between the well and the house but I don't know exactly how they do this. I assume it will just be a T connection. The house is supplied with 2 - 1" lines, one for each side of the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks