Using a CPV Valve with a micronizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimdandy

Reaction score
We just had the third AO smith Aqua aire V 250 Pressure tank (in 14 years) fail and have decided to replace it with a Wellmate WM25-Wb fiberglass bladder tank. Our water is extremely acidic 5.8 out of the well and chock full of iron, magnesium and other minerals. It looks like blood from the well. We have a Gould 1.5 horse pump in a 325 ft well that is about 400 ft from the pressure tank which is set for 40-60 at the pressure switch. I believe the Gould is 26 gall recovery. We have always had enough pressure.
To clean the water, it goes through 1st a micronizer before the pressure tank and then a non-media sediment tank immediately after the pressure tank. Next is a marble chip neutralizer and then a salt softener and finally two Filters: a double stack 10 micron and single 30 micron (may have those two backwards. My question is two part.
1. Is the placement of the micronizer the cause of the rapid pressure tank deterioration? (As has been suggested by two different installers?)

2. can I install a csv valve to help my 14 year old pump with the micronizer and go with a much smaller than 86 gallon tank? We only have spacing for a 48" tall max tank at 30" wide because of all the other plumbing and heat system.

Other specifics are: the house has three showers two tubs and 8 sinks, four toilets, one dishwasher, laundry,and 6 people living here.(two are teenagers) We do use some water for irrigation up a 35 degree hill for landscape behind the house about 200 ft. We would like to use the water to top a pool and hot tub. To date even with the system we have in place the water still has to much iron and adding chlorine turns it brown.
I am still shopping the tank because I want to make sure this time we do it right. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I believe I talked to you earlier, and the CSV will work with a Micronizer. The air from the Micronizer is getting into the bladder tank. These air maker type systems usually use a standard (non bladder type tank). You would get a better mixture of air with the water with a non bladder tank. Then there would also be no bladder to burst.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Air injection is a bad choice.

Using a pressure tank of any kind for retention with air injection is a bad choice.

Air injection for iron causes closing off of the water line with rust buildup just past the injector. That reduces flow, especially to a backwashed turbidity filter, which is the only type of filter that should be used.

The retention should be done in an automatically vented tank that allows the inlet water stream to be broken up into droplets and small streams so it falls through the air maintained and refreshed in the retention tank, and that tank should be capable of being drained from the bottom to get rid of rust build up to protect the turbidity filter from having to deal with so much of it.

And even then, depending on the volume of iron in the water and how easily it oxidizes, air in any form is usually a bad choice for oxidation and then filtration.

The best is chlorine with a mixing/retention tank followed by a backwashed filter with special carbon.

Firecaptain9

Reaction score
Air injection is a bad choice.

Using a pressure tank of any kind for retention with air injection is a bad choice.

Air injection for iron causes closing off of the water line with rust buildup just past the injector. That reduces flow, especially to a backwashed turbidity filter, which is the only type of filter that should be used.

The retention should be done in an automatically vented tank that allows the inlet water stream to be broken up into droplets and small streams so it falls through the air maintained and refreshed in the retention tank, and that tank should be capable of being drained from the bottom to get rid of rust build up to protect the turbidity filter from having to deal with so much of it.

And even then, depending on the volume of iron in the water and how easily it oxidizes, air in any form is usually a bad choice for oxidation and then filtration.

The best is chlorine with a mixing/retention tank followed by a backwashed filter with special carbon.

I have as you describe and it is not working, My system is: 315' deep well, 33 gpm pump set @ 250', Chlorine injection, to 2150 gallon retention tank (in about a foot from the bottom, drain at bottom, drained weekly, outlet at the top), to 2150 gallon pressure tank, to termonix twin 13" filters backwashing for 30 minutes each night, to the distribution system, to another 1500 gallons of pressure tanks on the far side of the distribution system. System is using around 24,000 gallons per day (winter) to 36,000 per day (summer).
Raw water Iron (1.3 ppm) and Manganese (1.9 ppm) is the same as the treated water. My water is very hard, but no bacteria. Everything but Iron and Manganese are either None Detected or very low. The above well was drilled 2 years ago. The large tanks are 7/16" steel 6' x 12.5' high.
I have at least an hour of retention time prior to the backwash filters. I am now looking into adding air injection prior to the retention tank to increase the chlorine/iron attraction. From what I have read, my system should be working, but it seems to be a big waste of money so far!
any experienced advice would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would look at using an aerator type system to fill the retention tank. It just uses nozzles to jet or aerate the water as it enters the retention tank. I assume you have another pump that draws from the retention tank and pumps to the pressure tanks? I really do not understand why you have so many pressure tanks?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks