Pulling a deep well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

rubocop

Reaction score
I lost water last Friday. The same company that installed the well (1995) is coming out to check it out today. I've been trying to educate myself on how the system works so I can somewhat understand what may be the problem. This site has been very helpful. I searched but was unable to find anything on how to pull the submersible pump. I bought the house in 2002 and according to paperwork left by the previous owner the pipe used was sch. 80 1" TC. About 4 years ago I lost most pressure and the same company came and repaired a broken wire. If I remember correctly the black flexible tubing was installed. The pipe originally installed was 380'.

I saw a former neighbor at my previous house pulling his with a tractor. He had the tubing connected to the tractor and he slowly pulled it out. I didn't see how he was able to gain access to the tubing.

Thanks for any help.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At 380 feet, special equipment will need to be used to pull it. several companies make machines for this purpose and many pump & well companies have hoist trucks that will pull it as well. For a pump that's down about 100' you can pull it by hand if you have the gumption. BTW, I have pulled a bunch using a pick up truck, a rope and a specially made wheel that keeps the pipe from kinking. To get at the whole mess, the cover comes off and you need a pit less puller which is just a length of 1" threaded pipe with a handle on one end.

rubocop

Reaction score
The well company just called and they're on their way. Hopefully a cheap fix.

One thing I did learn so far from this forum is you get what you pay for (service and products).

Thanks again.

rubocop

Reaction score
The well guy just left. He metered the motor when he first arrived and determined an open with the motor start wire. They pulled the pump and while at the surface connected the wiring from the house to the pump and it ran. There were munerous scuff marks on the first 100 feet of wire(closest to the pump). They replaced approximately 100 feet of wire, put all the sections back together( 380' of PVC pipe) and turned it on. The end result was plenty of water, approx 10 GPM. He checked the air tank and recharged it to about 37 psi. It cycles just fine. He did have a new pump on the truck which they wanted $1200.00 for. (Jacuzzi 1hp 3 wire). My pump is a 1hp jacuzzi, 3 wire. 10GPM.

Static water at 40'
drawdown 353'
yield 40+ GPM

Well depth 398'

I have a 2 story house with 2 1/2 baths. I would like a little more pressure to the upper bathrooms. From what I've already read it seems I should have a larger pump. The well is approximately 75 feet from the house with the pipe to the house fairly level.

If a larger pump would help I will be on the lookout for one now and have it on hand if this one fails or the time is right to change on my own. I've already decided it will be a quality pump.

Any suggestions on the pump size?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a 2 story house with 2 1/2 baths. I would like a little more pressure to the upper bathrooms. From what I've already read it seems I should have a larger pump. The well is approximately 75 feet from the house with the pipe to the house fairly level.

If a larger pump would help I will be on the lookout for one now and have it on hand if this one fails or the time is right to change on my own. I've already decided it will be a quality pump.

Any suggestions on the pump size?

The lack of pressure is more likely the piping to to the 2nd floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks