General Ionics greensand filter parts

Users who are viewing this thread

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have an old filter for which I need a new bladder for the PP regeneration tank.

Anyone have any idea as to a source of parts? I know General Ionics has been sold a couple of times, but have no idea of a source for parts. My local source of parts is out of business.

Paul

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary,

I was hoping you had some experience with the General Ionics units.

They use a "sealed" vessel which has a cup like rubber bladder in the bottom. When regenerating it pulls solution creating a vacuum which controls the amount of PP. It then pulls a limited amount of water back in at the end of the cycle.

Do other make units use a similar process?

Paul

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
MaccLean still makes green sand filters and equipment

Macclean NUR1001G Filter Greensand Iron

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. My filter is in great shape, the problem is with the vessel which holds and meters the potassium permanganate.

Paul

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Gary,

I was hoping you had some experience with the General Ionics units.

They use a "sealed" vessel which has a cup like rubber bladder in the bottom. When regenerating it pulls solution creating a vacuum which controls the amount of PP. It then pulls a limited amount of water back in at the end of the cycle.

Do other make units use a similar process?

Paul
I've never heard of a bladder. GI used Fleck 2500 control valves and possibly now Clack. The regenerated filter version 2500/2510 controls the volume of water put in the tank with the brine valve and the air check brine pickup controlled how much was taken out; which should be the same as was put in.

Can you post a picture of your control valve face and the side the brine line attaches to?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary,

The photos are one's I had. The system is at a summer cottage and will not be back there for a while.

The shot on the back of the pickup is the potassium permanganate vessel. You can see around the bottom where the cup like bladder inserts. I'll have to look around, if my memory is right I kept the old one when I changed it last, which was many years ago.

Paul

Attachments

• PA290072 (Small).JPG
    PA290072 (Small).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • PA290073 (Small).JPG
    PA290073 (Small).JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,147
  • PPvessel (Small).jpg
    PPvessel (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,282

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary,

I found the remains of Gen. I., seems that the vessel I showed you was discontinued many years ago. They claim that anyones "open solution" tank will work. Can you give me any direction?

Paul

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I faintly recall that type tank.

I marked up your middle picture and posted it here. You should have everything you need but the new tank. The curved light gray line goes form the injector body that contains the injector, injector throat under the injector after you remove the injector, and the injector screen/filter.

The dirty brine line goes from the brine valve to that tank.

You have a brass 2500 regenerated version control valve set up for PP.

I could sell you a new tank but I have only once sold a greensand filter and that was over 20 yrs ago. So find someone that sells PP and call them asking them to get you a complete new tank with a 5'-6' long piece of new 3/8" brine line for it. You need the brine pickup with an air check too. You should go with a safety brine valve too, a 2310 float controlled valve, that prevents overflowing of PP water if the tank overfills for some reason. They should tell you how to adjust the float, it is not used to set the volume of water in the tank, it is a safety float so it is set to close the valve before water can flow out any overflow fitting or the brine line hole in the tank.

Attachments

• PA290073_1 (Small).JPG
    PA290073_1 (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,451

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary,

Thanks, I will look around and see what I can find locally.

They had told me to remove a small float assembly (which is hidden behind the vertical output pipe) which is in the PP pickup/refill line and connect the open solution tank directly.

With the open solution tank, does it get it's water from the pickup line at the end of the cycle like the old tank did?

Thanks again for your input.

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks