Basement Utility Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ebachenh

Reaction score
Hello-

I have a plastic utility sink in my basement that was disconnected by some horrible contractors a few months back, and never reconnected.

The sink drain pipe is a 3/4 or 1" copper pipe. Nearby is a 1.5" PVC trap that goes to the houses exit pipes.

The top of the trap has the threading on the outside of it, and there is a round PVC piece (looks like an earring - hollow middle) that screws on top of the trap, but somehow, the copper drain pipe is too narrow to fill the space between. I think there was a piece on the copper drain pipe that helped link the "earring" and the trap, but I haven't a clue what it was. Going to Home Depot, I bought what I thought was the right pieces, 1.5" PVC cap and extender, but it wasn't.

I would appreciate ANY advice that anyone can offer as to how I can link the copper drain pipe and PVC trap. It is probably something really easy, but since I'm not much of a plumber/handyman, I'm just missing it.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Ebachenh

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Unfortunately, your description does not correspond to what the normal drain setup would be. A picture might help, if we could determine pipe sizes from it. But if your description and sizes are correct, then you have a "home made" drain setup and it might only be decipherable by someone being at the house.

ebachenh

Reaction score
Pictures of the issue

For clarity, I attached 4 picture files of the setup

trap.jpg = shows the open trap with threaded end
drain2.jpg = shows the copper pipe drain from the utility sink
earring.jpg = shows the "earring" like piece that threads onto the trap
utilsinkdrain.jpg = another angle of the sink and copper drain pipe.

Hope this helps you diagnose the issue-

Thanks again,
Eric

Attachments

• trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 732
  • drain2.jpg
    drain2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 762
  • earring.jpg
    earring.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 699
  • utilsinkdrain.jpg
    utilsinkdrain.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 694

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The "ear ring" is a slip nut to secure the trap to the pipe coming down from the sink. The pipe appears to be 1 1/2" tubing, but without anything to compare its size to, that is just an educated guess. If it is 1 1/2" then you need a 1 1/2" slip washer inside the slip nut to secure the pipe, but if it is 1 1/4" then you need a reducing slip washer for the trap connection. You do not show the actual trap connection, so we cannot tell you if you need something else to make the trap line up with that drop pipe.

Last edited:

ebachenh

Reaction score
Ok - took 2 more pictures and tried to show the trap setup with the sink drain into it. The drain pipe is less than 1.5" - is 1" or 1.25". See the attached pictures which show the pipe entering the PVC with the nut and without - in both cases, there's still too much "space". Which parts will I need?

And would I be able to buy those parts at a Home Depot, say?

Thanks again - I really do appreciate this.

Ebachenh

Attachments

• trapsetup1.jpg
    trapsetup1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 680
  • trapsetup2.jpg
    trapsetup2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 690

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like the trap is 1½ and the drain tailpiece is 1¼. This is a very common setup. There is a special reducing nut/washer combo to make this connection. It is a very common piece. Available anywhere, incl. the depots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks