(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer water supply valves won't turn

Default Washer water supply valves won't turn

Good morning gents,

Iím about to replace my washer and dryer. I went to turn off my washer machine hot & cold water supply valves and they would not turn at all. What is the best way to approach this?

1.Turn off the main water supply to the house and replace washer machine hoses?
    2.Replace the valves? If so, what nut do I unscrew?
    3.??

Thanks in advance!

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Washer supply valves

This post is worthless without pictures ! !

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MACPLUMB 777 View Post
    This post is worthless without pictures ! !
    Good point. Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default valves

My repair would be to replace the tops of the valves, but you probably do not have access to the specialized part needed. Your picture is from a bad angle, but your valves MAY screw into a fitting coming into the box. If so, the valves can be unscrewed and replaced with new valves shaped EXACTLY like the ones you have, if you can find them. They will be called "boiler drains" not "sill cocks" or "hose faucets".

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    My repair would be to replace the tops of the valves, but you probably do not have access to the specialized part needed. Your picture is from a bad angle, but your valves MAY screw into a fitting coming into the box. If so, the valves can be unscrewed and replaced with new valves shaped EXACTLY like the ones you have, if you can find them. They will be called "boiler drains" not "sill cocks" or "hose faucets".

Your correct. They do screw into a fitting at the bottom.

Heres another pic of the bottom screwed on part I think you're referring to.

I had a similar problem and decided to open up the wall below the valves, cut the riser below the valves, and put in new 1/4 turn ball valves.

If you are like most people, you never turn off the current valves (even assuming they were working properly). Washing machine hose bursts are one of the leading causes of home flooding so we really should turn off the valves when not actually using the washer. Since I've changed over to user-friendly valves, we actually do shut off the water supply between wash days.

Smile

You can get a new identical "Oatey" box at the hardware store, OSH, Home Depot, etc. for about $20.00. Then simply take the new valves out of the new box and screw them into the old box.

Default valves

Just buy two boiler drains. They have the handles on top with 90 degree outlets and screw them into the fittings. Unless you are different from 99+% of the people, you hardly ever turn them off, so you do not need 1/4 turn valves.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Just buy two boiler drains. They have the handles on top with 90 degree outlets and screw them into the fittings. Unless you are different from 99+% of the people, you hardly ever turn them off, so you do not need 1/4 turn valves.
    I found the two boiler drains. See the pic below. I tried to unscrew the current fittings but cannot get them off.

With all due respect to HJ, I still say open up the wall and put in some user-friendly valves. Boiler valves are just too cumbersome to use in a small box and thus no one turns them off like they should.

Having easy-to-operate valves, that should be leak-free for many years, was worth the extra small investment in time, and drywall compound, to me. Took all of an hour to cut the drywall, cut out the old valves, solder in the new valves on short risers, and patch the drywall.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As mentioned, a split or failed hose can make a real mess of things. They make washing machine shutoff valves - single handle, that makes shutting them off quick and easy. I'd go that route.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    As mentioned, a split or failed hose can make a real mess of things. They make washing machine shutoff valves - single handle, that makes shutting them off quick and easy. I'd go that route.
    Yes, that is what I have. I admit that I only shut them off for maintenance though.

1/4 turn valves shine in rental units because of the constant Tennant turnover every few years...

Default valves

Use bigger wrenches.