3/4" vs. 1/2" supply to shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

knoctor

Reaction score
Doing a remodel. Existing 1/2" supply lines to shower. I can replumb with 3/4" supply, but shower head is to a standard 1/2" stubout. Is there any advantage to converting to 3/4" supply line from main, or is the 1/2" a limiting factor? I'm installing ZOE industries Polaris II double shower head.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

IF your shower valve will only flow as much, or less, than a 1/2" pipe can supply, which is very likely, then there is no advantage to using 3/4" supply lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 3/4" valve can flow as much as twice as much water as a 1/2" version of similar design. But, whether you need it or not depends on how much water the heads need to provide decent spray. And, unless you have 3/4" supply lines, a 3/4" valve will only give you marginally better flow if fed with a 1/2" line, if at all.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

A 3/4' ceramic seat valve has openings LESS than half the size of a 3/4" pipe. First you take away the space needed for the rim of the seal, then divide the remainder into four pie shaped pieces. Two of them are open for water to flow and two are closed for shutoff purposes. Then take away the space needed for the webs between the quadrants and you are left with an area about the same, and maybe less, than a 1/2" copper line. Take a stem out sometime and measure the area of the two openings.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
1/2" vs 3/4"

I would switch the lines to 3/4" for sure unless you are piping in 1/2" copper.

Compare the inside measurement of a pex fitting 1/2" vs 1/2" copper and you will see a big difference.

If you are re doing your bathroom do it right and re pipe it with a new home run. Insulate the pipes and strap them down.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks