I do not understand volunteer firefighters in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian, what part of volunteer don't you understand... actually, you couldn't understand unless you were a firefighter their is an adrenlin rush that pumps through firefighters blood on their way to a fire, and most of them live that way for the first 10 to 15 years. If you don't believe me, find a firefighter and ask him.

As a volunteer firefighter who served 26 years I can attest to that...

After the first 10 or 15 you become wiser and stop to empty your bladder before running out in the middle of the night when its 10-degrees F outside...

By the way Ian the Fill The Boot fundraiser was started by paid fire fighters of the International Association Of Fire Fighters AFL-CIO, CLC and is an annual fundraiser with the proceeds going to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) is the largest national sponsor of the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). More than 280,000 members of the IAFF in the United States and Canada are pledged to saving lives, both as fire fighters and paramedics and as the strongest campaigners for the worldwide research efforts of MDA to eradicate 40 neuromuscular diseases. The contributions of the fire fighters also go towards MDA’s summer camps for children, professional and public health education, and other programs.

As the greatest contributor to MDA, fire fighters are everywhere in the efforts of MDA to raise money. The IAFF is the biggest sponsor of MDA’s Labor Day Telethon and it contributed a record breaking $23.5 million in year 2006 as a consequence of the overwhelming enthusiasm and contribution of tens and thousands of fire fighters and paramedics across the US and Canada. IAFF members have donated nearly $275 million to MDA since 1954. http://www.iaff.org/MDA/history.asp

Since all Fire Fighters are brothers whether paid or volunteer you may find it interesting to note that Volunteer Fire Fighters also collect for MDA and contribute.

I don't know what your problem with volunteer fire fighters could be Ian...
In many smaller communities it is a way of life for many who serve. They go to regular jobs and support their families in many small towns across America where the call volume is to low to justify a paid staff saving the town many $$$ in taxes and at a moments notice they leave their job or families to run out and fight a fire. Many of them spend several nights a week or, weekends attending training classes to maintain a high level of proficiency all time donated by them. The proficiency is no joke and in many cases better service is provided to the community. On more than one occasion I can cite instances where the fire was located a long run from the station and probably would have been a 5-8 minute run for the first truck to arrive but a volunteer living in the area on arrival found a room in the basement well involved with fire and attacked it with a fire extinguisher he carried in his trunk knocking the fire down so that only a single small hose line was needed for mopping up when the first truck arrived.

In any case you clearly are picking the wrong people to have a beef with.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't know what your problem with volunteer fire fighters could be Ian...

I think people that provide such a valuable service should be paid a salary from taxpayers' pockets.

Yes, you could still have volunteers, but they should work alongside salaried firemen.

Volunteer fire stations having to close because of a lack of resources is non-sensical.

It's a bit like having the churches provide healthcare....which I know they already do as long as the State does not go passing a gay marriage law and then they just up sticks.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
volunteers

NOt every city has a bundle of cash lying around to pay firefighters to sit in the station 24 hours a day playing checkers and waiting for something to start burning. AND, those guys like playing fireman. I once found a small ball of glowing embers in a tree, while walking my dog. When I got back home I called the police department, and told them to send someone over there with a small fire extinguisher. This was a 10:00 p.m. The next thing I know there are two fire trucks outside, and about 40 volunteers with their blue lights flashing. One guy takes a can of water to throw on the fire and the others line up to sign in for their "showup" pay. Everyone on the street walked down to see what was happening. My wife asked me if I was going to go out and tell them I was the one who called. I told her, "NO way was I going to do that."

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Not every city has a bundle of cash lying around to pay firefighters to sit in the station 24 hours a day playing checkers and waiting for something to start burning.

Then we need to get the feds to pay for it.

Enough of all these silly city and State governments trying to provide essential services.

Centralize.

Washington DC knows best. I should know. I live there.

Big Government is Best.

Save America's kids....cap and trade before it's too late.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Then we need to get the feds to pay for it.

Enough of all these silly city and State governments trying to provide essential services.

Centralize.

Washington DC knows best. I should know. I live there.

Yeah...DC is a great example of how things should be. :rolleyes: Just be happy they haven't voted in another crackhead.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The only difference between DC and Florida, that I could detect, was the beach, the sea and the dodgy plumbing.

Everything else was the same. And the price we pay for that is multiple sets of local Governments all making exactly the same decisions.

One Government for all Americans. The time has come.

DC knows what makes you happy.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The only difference between DC and Florida, that I could detect, was the beach, the sea and the dodgy plumbing.

Everything else was the same. And the price we pay for that is multiple sets of local Governments all making exactly the same decisions.

One Government for all Americans. The time has come.

DC knows what makes you happy.

How about that our taxes are probably 20% of what yours are (my property taxes were about $1500 last year. We also don't have state income taxes. And the icing on the cake is that I can legally have my gun loaded in the center console of the truck (the wife's anyway, my truck has no console) and the RIGHT to shoot someone in defense of myself, my family and even my property with immunity from civil and judicial prosecution (or persecution if you like).

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine_in_the_United_States
A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that arose from English Common Law[1] that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
How about that our taxes are probably 20% of what yours are (my property taxes were about $1500 last year. We also don't have state income taxes. And the icing on the cake is that I can legally have my gun loaded in the center console of the truck (the wife's anyway, my truck has no console) and the RIGHT to shoot someone in defense of myself, my family and even my property with immunity from civil and judicial prosecution (or persecution if you like).

Yes but DC knows that this sort of behavior is not good for you.

My property tax is over $4000 a year and is spent on things that help my good neighbors out and to the benefit of society. If we can eliminate differences like this in America then we will all be happier.

Mostly, we need to get rid of that dreadful PVC plumbing in Key West. I blame the plumbing designers.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ian

You Limeys, and relatives, think taxes are the solution to everything. I guess you forgot how we treated King George, and his tea, when he tried to raise our taxes. If you want more taxes, stay tuned, because he is going to have to make you VERY happy one of these days when his money printing presses run out of green ink. And that is not evironmentally green, but the money color green.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
canada

Quote; Canada actually enforces its immigration laws.

WHO is trying to get into Canada? NOT millions of Americas, and they do not have Mexico as a neighbor, although we might be able to work out a land swap to cure that problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
politicians

quote; IMHO: both sides are lying to us.

YOU are kidding me? Politicians lying? Impossible!, BUt then, have you ever tried to put the words politician, truth, honesty, and upstanding in the same sentence and have it make sense, unless you also use a lot of "not"s.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I can't wait until Obama raises taxes and gives you a good dose of social justice.

And all this has the popular support of the people.

You deserve a second stimulus!

We are entitled to cap and trade!

Government healthcare for all.

I want some handouts!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks