Disparity in replacement washer drain hose size

Users who are viewing this thread

sylvia

Reaction score
I have a heavy duty Maytag washer/dryer set which I bought around 1987. Never had a problem with them, but I moved to a place where I have to use a longer drain hose. I bought three generic "fits 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch" so far, and none of them fit (first two at Lowes, third at Ace). The first one was way too loose, the second one was too tight to, but the third one was not just right, it was also loose... and the end that goes down the drain is so short it looks as if it would easily slip out. All three at thinner that the Maytag hose, which is so thick and fits so snugly it has never required a clamp. Yeah, I'd have gotten a Maytag hose if anyone had one, but I guess I have to order one over the internet.

Is it typical for generic hoses to be so far off in diameter? The diameter of the pipe coming out of the washer is exactly 1-inch. The *outside* diameter of one of the "fits 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch" replacement hoses was exactly 1". How the heck is that supposed to fit over a 1-inch pipe, and how could it possibly fit over a 1 1/4" pipe (there is no give to it)? This hose had not been cut, all hoses of this brand were also too small for what their packaging said they were. The appliance manager at Lowes did not understand why this was a problem with the product. Am I missing something here? Yes, my machine is over twenty years old, but a one-inch pipe is a one-inch pipe. Why are the generic replacement hoses made so thin and shoddy and/or badly designed? What is so hard about manufacturing a common drain pipe hose? Even with a clamp, I don't trust the loose. thin hoses to stand up to use.

Is there any other kind of hose which would work as well as the original (but still give me at least five feet? Thanks.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Try putting a small piece of 3/4" or 1" copper pipe in each hose and fasten with two hose clamps.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Generic parts for any appliance are suspect to begin with. Machines today do use much smaller hoses than in the past.

Your Maytag may have a special fitting or adapter at the machine. If you post the model number, we can look at parts diagrams to see what's what.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks