Screwed up joist line up for fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

locus123

Reaction score
We just had our bathtub delivered, and upon fitting it in it's space I noticed that the studs on the valve/drain side are 16" OC starting at the wall. This puts a stud almost directly in the center of the tub, right where all the valves, shower head, diverters etc are supposed to go. Placing a 2x4 on end between studs obviously won't work here, so I'm just wondering what the workaround is?

I figure I have to notch out the stud that is in the way where the fixtures have to go and work around it. Any other options?

locus123

Reaction score
Not very easily. The wall is up on the other side, so I'd end up destroying the drywall and have to patch all that up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

That happens all the time. Which is why we carry SawZalls. You notch the stud, but what do you mean "work around it"? You notch the stud, install the valve and secure it in place, then install the wall covering, period, end of project.

locus123

Reaction score
Thanks hj, that's what i figured.

By work around it I mean that the line from the valve to the shower head will be directly over top of the stud (when I say the stud is in the wrong spot, it couldn't be placed more perfectly in the wrong spot). I either have to notch it out from the valve all the way to the shower head if I want a straight line connection, or only notch the valve and shower head then 90-90-straight line-90-90 to work around the stud.

I think I may just notch it out the whole way, then add another 2 studs on either side just so the cement board has something to attach to. I can't see any other way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks