4 in. Submersable Water Pump Question!

Users who are viewing this thread

BlakeJ

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a house. I have chosen a forclosure and it is a buy as is. I spoke with a neighbor and he said that before the family moved out that lightning had struck the Water Pump and burned it up. My question is that is this possible???? Also, what kind of price am i looking at to replace it? What kind of damage can it do to anything in the house? What other signs of damage do i need to look for as far as the pump and lightning go. I appreciate all of everyones help and suggestions. :)

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible that lighting did hit the pump. If it did its a goner.
But, there may be some hope. If it is a 2 wire pump,(no control box) forget it.
If it does have a control box, there is a chance, that the capacitor stopped the lighting before it got to the pump.

It is a slim chance, but a chance none the less.

Depending on the size and depth of the pump, it could be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollers to replace it.
That is hard to answer without more details about the pump and well itself.

Travis

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Up here, lightning strikes fry pumps all the time. Very common. WWD is correct, cost could be anything from less than a grand to a couple depending......... always depending.

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
With a 4" well there is always a chance the pump will not come out. That is why they are not drilled in my area any longer. Just be prepared to drill a new well. Then if it comes out, it will be a bonus.;);)

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
We did drill some 10" public water wells. Steel. Four for one city. That was a lot of work. They all produced over 600 gallons a minute. It took us three weeks! Just to drill, no hook ups.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's all rotary with a few pounders still around but dying out fast. 8" is code, Steel case set and grouted to bedrock. My dad was a driller in florida for many years. All 2" Pvc set in whatever the hell that crap is in southern florida. Marl I believe they call it.

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
It's all rotary with a few pounders still around but dying out fast. 8" is code, Steel case set and grouted to bedrock. My dad was a driller in florida for many years. All 2" Pvc set in whatever the hell that crap is in southern florida. Marl I believe they call it.
Interesting. I did not know there was 2" PVC wells! I would like to learn to air drill. Oh yes, we have to grout too!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks